Stanley Baxter

I had forgotten just how good this comedian was. Stanley Baxter was an absolute genius in the programme last night reminding us of all his old programmes. 

Thought he'd been brown bread for ages 😬

Recently watched The Fast Lady terrific movie very funny,I wonder why Stanley left it so late in life to come out as gay ?

1 hour ago, blackydog said:

I think he is, but think this was a repeat.

51 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

Recently watched The Fast Lady terrific movie very funny,I wonder why Stanley left it so late in life to come out as gay ?

Was he really ? Didn’t know that.

1 hour ago, blackydog said:

Stanley Baxter - IMDb  No mention of his death so I assume he is still living.

1 hour ago, *Wallace* said:

Recently watched The Fast Lady terrific movie very funny, I wonder why Stanley left it so late in life to come out as gay ?

Yes apparently he was 94 when he came out.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/stanley-baxter-94-comes-out-22944831

Edited by iansheff

According to Wikipedia Stanley was born on 24th May 1926, with no mention of his death so I assume he still with us.

52 minutes ago, forgeman said:

According to Wikipedia Stanley was born on 24th May 1926, with no mention of his death so I assume he still with us.

That’s good to hear.

I always assumed he was gay.     Didn't know he was still alive, thought he died years ago.

Always remember his speacials being on at Christmas but I don't think I ever watched one.

The Daily Mail did an interesting feature on Stanley Baxter a while ago. He is gay but was forced to hide it to save his career ( much like Rock Hudson and others ). He did marry a girl who worked in a theatre he performed at but it turned out to be a marriage of convenience on his part. When he came out she allowed him to bring male friends home to stay before eventually separating.

She died some years ago having suffered mental health problems and he now lives as a recluse.

3 hours ago, charliewag said:

The Daily Mail did an interesting feature on Stanley Baxter a while ago. He is gay but was forced to hide it to save his career ( much like Rock Hudson and others ). He did marry a girl who worked in a theatre he performed at but it turned out to be a marriage of convenience on his part. When he came out she allowed him to bring male friends home to stay before eventually separating.

She died some years ago having suffered mental health problems and he now lives as a recluse.

This is very interesting.