Wild Swimming Hollow Meadows

Every day my daughter and husband walk their dog over the dam at Hollow Meadows,the other day they got the shock of their lives!.On the return journey this day walking along they noticed a female compleately in the nude exiting the water without a care in the world,then further out was a man also in the buff swimming along in the freezing cold water!.It seems a group of wild swimmers have decided to move there from another location that does not suit their needs,now I am broad minded and are not bothered by this but what about if someone has children walking with them what then?.Has anybody got an opinion on this?.

They found out that swimming in cold water is good for your health especially the heart.

at my age i might have a heart attack,seeing a nice young lady ,like that,but  could be worth a chance,but good luck to them,but is there any naked rules broken,not that i would mind,as long as they may have to ring a ambulance.

5 hours ago, old tup said:

Every day my daughter and husband walk their dog over the dam at Hollow Meadows,the other day they got the shock of their lives!.On the return journey this day walking along they noticed a female compleately in the nude exiting the water without a care in the world,then further out was a man also in the buff swimming along in the freezing cold water!.It seems a group of wild swimmers have decided to move there from another location that does not suit their needs,now I am broad minded and are not bothered by this but what about if someone has children walking with them what then?.Has anybody got an opinion on this?.

So a child sees someone in the nude - so what - I'd much rather my kid saw that than some drunk rolling about swearing in the street.

One Sunday morning some years ago I was in my car at the crossroads on West Street when a group of naked cyclists went zooming past. Very surreal! 

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

at my age i might have a heart attack,seeing a nice young lady ,like that,but  could be worth a chance,but good luck to them,but is there any naked rules broken,not that i would mind,as long as they may have to ring a ambulance.

When I was a nurse I saw many patients in the nude so nothing like nude swimmers would bother me.

If it's the Rivelin Dams you're on about then you're not actually allowed to swim in them, they belong to Yorkshire Water. It's also incredibly dangerous, water is drawn off from below and there can be strong undercurrents.

They put fencing up last year on the wall near the main road, presumably to deter swimmers. I remember just the week before the number of cars parked up on the verge was ridiculous, it was during the warm spell last spring, although having said that the car park across the damn had been closed by YW.

Edited by Colin Foster

On 22/01/2021 at 13:10, enntee said:

They can say "Look. That's what a lady looks like. Bet she's cold!"

They have bumped into another two one lady swimming about in the nude apart from a wooly hat,the man was her son who asked my daughter"Can we tempt you to join us?".I won,t repeat her reply as my eldest girl is a carbon copy of her dad,a little outspoken you might say!.They are dicing with death swimming there as I believe there are dangerous undercurrents as the water empties from below,there are notices warning about swimming but some people think they know best as per usual!. 

If you know what you're doing, swimming is no more dangerous than hillwalking.  One of the arguments from open water swimmers about swimming in reservoirs is gaining access rights - after all, much of our countryside would still be closed off to members of the public if it wasn't for the Kinder Mass Trespass, and associated activities.

I suppose one of the arguments against is if people see others swimming, it might encourage recklessness, where people think they can just jump in anywhere - these are the people who then get into trouble.  But how many injuries/deaths are there from open water swimming compared to, say, injuries out on the fells?

I mean, look at the number of people who go wandering up a mountain in flip-flops, with no preparation or any idea how to read a map, or even look at weather forecast?

3 hours ago, Becky B said:

If you know what you're doing, swimming is no more dangerous than hillwalking. 

But how many injuries/deaths are there from open water swimming compared to, say, injuries out on the fells?

Hmmm, your argument doesn't add up,  I will recover from a sprained ankle,  but from getting cold water cramp and not being able to get out of deep water most likely I won't survive. Hence open water swimming is obviously more dangerous.  

Seen people swimming in Dale Dyke at Bradfield, which is owned by Yorkshire Water on a weekend, quite open about it as well.  I'm sure they'd prosecute them if caught.

I just don't understand it, my next door neighbor does it,  just seems a very risky way of fitness if u get into trouble in the water.

3 hours ago, Becky B said:

2 hours ago, sheffandy said:

Hmmm, your argument doesn't add up,  I will recover from a sprained ankle,  but from getting cold water cramp and not being able to get out of deep water most likely I won't survive. Hence open water swimming is obviously more dangerous.  

Seen people swimming in Dale Dyke at Bradfield, which is owned by Yorkshire Water on a weekend, quite open about it as well.  I'm sure they'd prosecute them if caught.

I just don't understand it, my next door neighbor does it,  just seems a very risky way of fitness if u get into trouble in the water.

Which is why I said "if you know what you're doing".   Things like knowing your limits, acclimatisation, knowing your access and exit points and so on.

How many people have died in the last year swimming in local reservoirs?

You could die from hypothermia out on the hills, if you are unprepared.

Just putting forward a few ideas, it's not black and white.