Sign in to follow this  

Website Damaged- 20+ Emails

This morning I received 20+ emails relating to Wordpress.

I deleted all of them.

I then looked at our Website and found that content had gone and menu did not work.

The website is fully paid up but we have not used it for 3+ months.

The website is not critical but the name etc, is important. 

I am clueless regarding websites.

We have done virus and malware checks on the computer used-nothing.

What should my next move be?

If it's fully paid up, then contact whoever set it up/hosts it and provides the support...

Also, without seeing it we can't really say what could have happened... :)

Did you look at the source of the emails? If so, what was the content?  You can usually check this without opening the email. It sounds as if it has been hacked. WordPress is known for this problem. As has been said, contact the host company to see if they can shed any light on the issue. If it has been tampered with and they cannot do anything then you will need to restore the site from a backup or rebuild it, paying extra attention to security.  There are various security plugins that are useful. However, simple things like limiting the number of those who have full admin access to just two will help. If anyone else needs to work on it, give them reduced functionality. Also, use very strong passwords.

An update or plug in can corrupt the site, sounds like your site is hosted so running anti virus or malware checks on your own computer is pointless, if your site has been maliciously removed then contacting the provider who you pay to host the site is your first move, if and when it is sorted make sure the site is backed up as Jomie wrote.

Probably important to note that unless you are paying your website provider for support and to administer the site, any data loss is likely to be your problem.  Plenty of Wordpress utils exist to export the site for backup purposes for this very reason