Publisher On Windows 10

I am currently using WindowsXP, which is no longer supported by Microsoft, and use Publisher quite often to create posters, newsletters, etc.  I like using it and want to keep using it.  However, the time is approaching for me to upgrade my PC.  Can anyone tell me if my version of Publisher (2003) can be installed and used on Windows 10 system?

From a discussion on another forum I use, the answer to that is a definite 'no'. IIRC, it was said it will run on W7  - but I'm not 100% certain, it was in the middle of last year when the subject was broached.

The person asking the question then decided to move to Linux  and run W7 in a VM for those odd programs he couldn't find a Linux alternative.

8 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Its several versions out of date.   How about this:

https://www.scribus.net/

Agreed, @alchresearch, and as I remember, the person asking the question elsewhere, did end up using that on Linux.

Your Office Professional 2003 disc will work on Windows 10. Microsoft does not support it now so there will be no security updates.

Thanks for the response RollingJ and alchresearch, it is as I feared.  I may just carry on with my WindowsXP, which meets all my requirements (except when people send me docs created on W10 and I can't open them) until I'm forced down the upgrade path by necessity - Microsoft has us all by the proverbials!  Is there a new version of Publisher with Windows 10?  

Thanks Jomie, but are you saying I will be able to install my version of Publisher and use it? Albeit without support.

25 minutes ago, AKAMD said:

Thanks for the response RollingJ and alchresearch, it is as I feared.  I may just carry on with my WindowsXP, which meets all my requirements (except when people send me docs created on W10 and I can't open them) until I'm forced down the upgrade path by necessity - Microsoft has us all by the proverbials!  Is there a new version of Publisher with Windows 10?  

Thanks Jomie, but are you saying I will be able to install my version of Publisher and use it? Albeit without support.

Can't answer that with any certainty, I'm afraid - I've never got on with or looked into any version of Windows after W7, but from comments on the other tech forums I visit, I'm not aware of anything. There are alternatives to M$, but they scare many people, and are a bit of a challenge if you've spent your life in that stable.

I 'migrated' to Apple products for 'away from home' use a few years ago (10-12?) and had no problems, but switching to a Linux OS is proving a slight challenge to my ageing brain - but I'll get there.

Google search suggests I can install Publisher 2003 on Windows 10: Yes, Microsoft Office 2003 does work on Windows 10. ... There are no more security updates for Office 2003. I keep it because I like 'Microsoft Picture Manager', which is no longer provided with newer versions of Office.3 Dec 2019

It might work, but I really wouldn't use it...

There are plenty of modern, up to date and FREE alternatives...
Even down to Google Docs....

@Ghozer posted my thoughts while I did a bit of research. I'd go with his suggestions - but maybe not Google Docs. :wink:

Yes, that is what I am saying. Your Office Professional 2003  should work just fine with Windows 10.  I have it running on a spare Windows 10 computer with no problems. I too use Microsoft Picture Manager and that is why I continue with this version. 

There are no service packs or security updates for it. If you are concerned about that you should perhaps consider obtaining a newer version of the software or as previously mentioned, look at open source software. However, as you have everything set up in Publisher converting to another programme would involve some work.

Edited by Jomie

Thanks to everyone who has responded.  On balance I think I'll stick with what I'm using until I have to upgrade and cut and paste word docs online to PC as I have been doing.  Although there's no support for my Windows system I was able only yesterday to convert a Publisher file to pdf. online.  I thought I would have difficulty but it was fairly straight forward.