R.I.P Peter Swan

2 hours ago, pattricia said:

I’ve seen nothing on Look North or Calendar about his death.

They've just mentioned it.  Report lasted about 10 seconds. 

RIP swanny great player for the Owls and England I also have some fond memories of  him being the landlord of the Travellers pub down attercliffe may he RIP 

Can remember his comeback game against Fulham.  At the time Wednesday were averaging around 17,000 crowds.  If memory serves, that match attracted 23,000 plus.

March 12th 1960  FA Cup  6th round at Bramall Lane, Blades v Owls.

Wednesday 2 up in 1st half, both goals from Derek Wilkinson. A  60000 crowd !

2nd half United hammered away at the Wednesday defence, Swan v Derek Pace, what a contest and me as a very young Blade had to admire what a player that bloke with the short shorts on was ! 

2 - 0 to the Owls.

14 hours ago, Baron99 said:

They've just mentioned it.  Report lasted about 10 seconds. 

2 news features in Sheffield Star.

Good article in today's Daily Mail sports section. RIP Peter Swan

15 hours ago, steved32 said:

Can remember his comeback game against Fulham.  At the time Wednesday were averaging around 17,000 crowds.  If memory serves, that match attracted 23,000 plus.

I recall the Fulham game, I think it was the opening fixture of the 1971-72 season. Two things that stood out to me:  Before the game started and both teams were doing the kick ins, Alan Mullery -who had just returned to Fulham from Tottenham -ran into Owl's half at the Kop end to shake his former England team mate's hand-( a fine gesture) and a few minutes after the start, a fifty yard through ball down the centre from Peter to Mick Prendergast who ran on to it to score at the Leppings Lane end... RIP Peter Swan.