Professor Mel Jones

Sad to read that we have lost a guy who did much to relate the history of Sheffield and South Yorkshire along with his wife Joan to the general public and the many Students he taught.

He was a lovely down to earth guy and the vast amount of books and articles he produced will still be valued for years to come  !!

Oh, bugger. That is sad news, he was so knowledgeable and passionate about Sheffield's history, one of those people whose contribution to an area's soul is under appreciated.

Mel was a true Yorkshire man. His knowledge of  his county and his love for it was immense. He leaves a wonderful legacy in his books and the talks he gave. RIP Mel.

Sad loss to Sheffield and the region, Mel was undoubtedly one of the most knowledgeable  contemporary local historians.  I have used his work many times and his contributions to the admag Tito were worth looking forward to.  I saw him at a number of local heritage events but never got chance to chat to him, which I now regret.  RIP Mel.

I didn't know him, but it's good to know that his expertise and knowledge lives on in his books and in people's memories of him. Many people will miss him I'm sure. May one of you take up the baton.

My condolences to his fammily and friends 

RIP.