Elizabeth Street

Anyone know where Elizabeth Street was and what happened to it? My dad's family lived there and are listed on the 1939 Census but current maps do not show it.

Elizabeth Street was a short cul-de-sac off Creswick Street in the Langsett Road area. Here is a map.

EL2.jpg

There was an Elizabeth Street off Creswick Street, lower Walkley area in 1905 and 1911 Directories.  1911 Directory also list Eccles Street, Wincobank as late Elizabeth Street.  I couldn't find it on the map but it is mentioned as being off Creswick St and Grammar St, lower Walkley.  It probably was or is a small cul-de-sac in this area.

Thank you hillsbro, I rest my case!

8 minutes ago, AKAMD said:

... Thank you hillsbro, I rest my case!

Yes - I actually remember Elizabeth Street from when I was a temporary postman in the 1960s. To judge from old directories, Elizabeth Street must have been demolished around 1969.

Hi hillsbro, you'll know the "Brick Hollow"  on Primrose Hill which was waste ground with a few tin garages on it, we played here as kids. Parkin Street is also there at the top, just 4 houses with a path to the front doors.

A lot of the residents moved into the newly built Kelvin Flats when demolition came, as you say, between 1969-71.

Hi carosio - yes, I well remember the "Brick Hollow". I also used to play there with my cousins who lived on Robert Street. Here is a link to a large-scale early-1900s  "overlay" map of the area - click and drag the blue dot to the left for a modern aerial view. The four houses on Parkin Street can also be seen on the map.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=53.39538&lon=-1.49263&layers=168&b=1

That was fascinating, I can pinpoint where our old house used to be.

That map also shows the brickworks on Normandale Rd, possibly built to supply the houses being built in the area in the late 1800s. Later maps show the brickworks have disappeared and Stalker Drill works built on the land, Normandale Terrace is re-named Drill Square.

And he brought me up as a United supporter despite being raised in Hillsborough! Many thanks for the info guys.