Alternatives To A Wake?

Funeral sometime in the next fortnight, and of course there can be no wake.

Seems a bit "final" to bid everyone farewell outside the crematorium, so my wife thought of arranging something to be sent/delivered to each of the mourners.

The "something" is like a cream tea? (That's my description, by the way!)

Where she's got the idea from, I don't know - maybe a magazine article?

Anyway, before the arrangements are made, have you any other ideas?

4 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

Funeral sometime in the next fortnight, and of course there can be no wake.

Seems a bit "final" to bid everyone farewell outside the crematorium, so my wife thought of arranging something to be sent/delivered to each of the mourners.

The "something" is like a cream tea? (That's my description, by the way!)

Where she's got the idea from, I don't know - maybe a magazine article?

Anyway, before the arrangements are made, have you any other ideas?

Hows about a "Delayed wake" card - with a note saying a wake will be arranged as soon as possible after Covid is over, and they will be contacted well in advance of it with an invite.

I’m not sure if this is any help or even if I have done the link correctly.  

A friend in Sheffield sent me a few packets of shortbread biscuits last year from Amazon, and I’m sure one of the packets was under £3 and  free posting,  also I can recommend how nice they tasted, the other packet was a bit more expensive.  She sent this unexpected gift  to various friends because she thought we all needed cheering up during the covid lockdown,  which I thought was a lovely thing to do.

It’s just an idea for your wife if she wanted to do something similar.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Border-Sweet-Memories-Butterscotch-Crunch/dp/B081YWGXVV/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=Scotch+biscuits&qid=1611089947&sr=8-10

why not use a cupcake company,theres several in sheffield,have a personilised box sent out to familys .delivered by the company,then meet up at a later date

14 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Hows about a "Delayed wake" card - with a note saying a wake will be arranged as soon as possible after Covid is over, and they will be contacted well in advance of it with an invite.

Yes, that was my first suggestion as well, Thirsty.

However, you and I are both 'wrong',  I'm ...er....told by my better 'alf (whose relation it is)

The reasons given were that things are unlikely to change this year, so we'd be perhaps looking at 2022... then there'd a few who couldn't make it, but could the week after....then there might be a few who couldn't make the week after, and didn't see why we had to alter it anyway because the first few hadn't sent a Christmas card in years, so why are the arrangements being amended just for them .....and so on.

Normal good-natured, so-called 'close family' stuff!

It's the usual case, I'm afraid. Only meet at weddings and funerals.

I spend most of my time wandering around, wondering who most of the people are!

But thanks for your suggestion anyway.

14 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

What do people do with the Ashes?

12 hours ago, hauxwell said:

I’m not sure if this is any help or even if I have done the link correctly.  

A friend in Sheffield sent me a few packets of shortbread biscuits last year from Amazon, and I’m sure one of the packets was under £3 and  free posting,  also I can recommend how nice they tasted, the other packet was a bit more expensive.  She sent this unexpected gift  to various friends because she thought we all needed cheering up during the covid lockdown,  which I thought was a lovely thing to do.

It’s just an idea for your wife if she wanted to do something similar.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Border-Sweet-Memories-Butterscotch-Crunch/dp/B081YWGXVV/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=Scotch+biscuits&qid=1611089947&sr=8-10

That's an idea - thank you!

1 minute ago, cressida said:

What do people do with the Ashes?

The last "event" (?) I attended, they were placed on another relative's grave in Hutcliffe Wood.

Cost about £60 for permission, if my memory's right.

9 minutes ago, bassett one said:

why not use a cupcake company,theres several in sheffield,have a personilised box sent out to familys .delivered by the company,then meet up at a later date

Think that was my wife's original idea.

It’s 4 years since my Mum died, so no COVID problems then.  But as she was 92 and her friends were of a similar age illness etc meant quite a few were unable to attend the funeral.  Especially as it was January and the weather was awful.  

My family all had input into the reading at her funeral and there were lots of happy and funny memories.  I sent a typed copy of the reading, along with a nice photo of her to her friends and they were really happy.  I also sent this to some friends who had attended but were a bit hard of hearing.

Just a thought.

Edited by joojoo
Spelling

16 minutes ago, joojoo said:

It’s 4 years since my Mum died, so no COVID problems then.  But as she was 92 and her friends were of a similar age illness etc meant quite a few were unable to attend the funeral.  Especially as it was January and the weather was awful.  

My family all had input into the reading at her funeral and there were lots of happy and funny memories.  I sent a typed copy of the reading, along with a nice photo of her to her friends and they were really happy.  I also sent this to some friends who had attended but were a bit hard of hearing.

Just a thought.

Yes, That's nice. Thank you. I like that.

It's going to be a strange service, as it will be for each of the poor covid (and others, of course) souls who have died in the last few months.

All masked, all distancing. No singing, although (to me) that's no bad thing.

Maximum 25 mourners, maximum 30 minutes overall.

Outside afterwards, distancing, avoid hugging/shaking hands/back slapping etc.

Yes, I like your idea a lot.

I will definitely suggest it to "Head Office"!