30th Anniversary Year Of The Arena

May 30th 1991 opening night Paul Simon,we were there but on top row at very back,he was a small dot in the distance!!

Edited by jackanne
spelling

16 hours ago, jackanne said:

May 30th 1991 opening night Paul Simon,we were there but on top row at very back,he was a small dot in the distance!!

Think you'll find that's his actual size.  He's tiny. 

Edited by Baron99

Thirty years old and it's showing it's age i'm afraid.... other younger Arenas around the World have been replaced, ours will be struggling on for another 20 years.

SCT need to get their act together and appoint a company / agency who will bring the acts back when it reopens.

I hated when leeds was built thinking all the band's would go there...then I went to a gig and found out how much I better it was.  The city hall is a great venue but the arena only pleases ice hockey fans.

22 hours ago, MuteWitness said:

I hated when leeds was built thinking all the band's would go there...then I went to a gig and found out how much I better it was.  The city hall is a great venue but the arena only pleases ice hockey fans.

That's all it's good for now, ice hockey.

It's served its purpose helping to regenerate Attercliffe. We should demolish (or repurpose it for permanent indoor sport e.g. the Steelers or similar) and rebuild a better one in the city centre.

I saw the Stone Roses at Leeds arena and thought it was an excellent venue - a central location. great sound and views. I've seen several gigs at Sheff arena and have few good memories.  Whoever I saw there I always left thinking they would have been better somewhere else and I hadn't properly 'seen' that artist.

Edited by Bilge

It could be built on top of the bus station for example.

Couldn’t Sheffield bid for some major international event to bring in lots of money to refurbish/rebuild ?

Something like the next World StudentGames ???

On 22/01/2021 at 21:12, darylslinn said:

That's all it's good for now, ice hockey.

And, according to look north, a vaccination centre.

So to people who have experience of multiple arenas: what are the things about Sheffield Arena which makes it inferior to Leeds etc? And are they things that can be fixed by refurbishment, or are they fundamental design flaws? (I'm not disputing this, I'm just interested in the details.)

On 25/01/2021 at 14:31, dave_the_m said:

So to people who have experience of multiple arenas: what are the things about Sheffield Arena which makes it inferior to Leeds etc? And are they things that can be fixed by refurbishment, or are they fundamental design flaws? (I'm not disputing this, I'm just interested in the details.)

Space for one.... the concourse is narrow, the arena bowl compared to Leeds is too elongated especially if you are right at the back, acoustics are terrible.....
.... food and drink on offer are inferior to say the O2 in London, very poor quality at a premium price, chaos on exit from the car park... no real system in place for exiting in different directions... too many steps.... newer arenas and stadiums for that matter have an outer concourse with escalators to most levels.... 

It's just very dated now after 30 years.... they've knocked down and rebuilt ones in the States that aren't as old as ours.... of the big Arenas in this country only Wembley (1934) and Birmingham's NEC (1983) are older.