Carmelite Convent, Oughtibridge

Does anyone remember the convent in the hills above Oughtibridge?  During the war, my sister and myself used to walk about 7 or 8 miles overland from our farm to take communion there. The alternative was to wait for the first bus into Hillsborough and go to The Sacred Heart church adjoining the school we attended, the problem then was we didn't get breakfast until about 1 o clock so as soon as we turned 7 and got confirmed, our Irish grandmother insisted we walk over numerous obstacles like edges of ploughed fields, stiles, farmyards and winding country roads to take communion with the nuns. I visited a few years ago to refresh the memories and after speaking to a nun through a grill we were allowed in for a short while. It was just like 'The Sound Of Music' with the big iron grills set in the walls where I remember the nuns sat in shadow during Mass, chanting prayers and singing.

I  remember  this going to the convent to see a young lady getting married to the church this would be in the40s 50s.

The convent is still there and still has some resident nuns.

When I stood for local election in Stannington I received a letter from the senior nun asking my views on various issues such as abortion and sex education in primary schools. Not sure my views would have done much to persuade them to vote for me.

I believe that a former Lord Mayor of Sheffield is buried in their cemetery.