Jump to content RIP Sheffield Admin Mort


Deposit On A Right To Buy Property

Recommended Posts

Sorry if this has been asked but I'm asking if you have to still pay the 10% deposit on a mortgage you get to buy a council house?

I will be a first time buyer, and got offered my home for £40,000 when I've been on mortgage websites it asks to put in a minimum of 10% deposit. With the house been so cheap I didn't think I'd have to pay that.

Anyone bought from council? 

Thanks 

Edited by nikki-red

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought mine in August. The discount counts as your deposit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/01/2021 at 19:25, soulvapour said:

Sorry if this has been asked but I'm asking if you have to still pay the 10% deposit on a mortgage you get to buy a council house?

I will be a first time buyer, and got offered my home for £40,000 when I've been on mortgage websites it asks to put in a minimum of 10% deposit. With the house been so cheap I didn't think I'd have to pay that.

Anyone bought from council? 

Thanks 

When you take out a mortgage to buy a property,  you have to study the rules of the mortgage company.       The Council does not offer  the  mortgage loan.

The mortgage lender will expect you to put up 10% - 20% deposit  and they will lend you  the other 80%-90%.

10% deposit is usually  reserved   for first time buyers but the interest rate charged on the loan  is higher and you may be required to pay admin fee  say £499 .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/01/2021 at 11:25, soulvapour said:

Sorry if this has been asked but I'm asking if you have to still pay the 10% deposit on a mortgage you get to buy a council house?

I will be a first time buyer, and got offered my home for £40,000 when I've been on mortgage websites it asks to put in a minimum of 10% deposit. With the house been so cheap I didn't think I'd have to pay that.

Anyone bought from council? 

Thanks 

There's no deposit, because there's no contract for sale/purchase.

 

If the net purchase price is £40 000, much depends on Loan-To-Value ratio set by your chosen mortgagee (lender).

Perhaps its LTV is limited to 90% and it's unwiling to lend more than that.

Best to ask it if the 90% figure applies to RTB purchases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clarification: 'value' (in 'LTV') usually means 'purchase price' or valuer's view of what the property's worth.

But an RTB purchase involves a statutory discount off the open-market value.

The mortgagee (lender) may contemplate a 100% mortgage advance if confident that the mortgagor won't default during the first year- after which a percentage of the discount ceases to be recoverable on early sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.