So What's Neoliberalism?

So Arnold, what do you think of constant 'Growth' via  consumerism?

Considering the strain on precious resources and the environmental issues that go with it. I wouldn't think you would champion that, or do you?  Who is going to stop these mega powerful corporations in a hands- off 'free market economy?'

6 hours ago, Delbow said:

Thanks, fixed it.

Still not working for me, the link just states: http://com

But... I've found several references to the book and some reviews.

Edit...  this is a YouTube interview:

Mmmmm?

Edited by apelike

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Sounds interesting. Just ordered the book you reccommended on ebay. Looking forward to reading it. 

Yes, I finally managed to get your link too.

Re: your book and link. I agree with it entirely, it makes perfect sense.

But the big question is will the powerful people in charge who have made a fortune out of Capitalism ever be persuaded to give it up? Even in their own best interests? The minute 'communism' is even mentioned the shutters go up, it has long been considered the bogey man of Western politics. It certainly needs an image makeover at the very least.

We already have enough money sloshing around in the world to put right many of the wrongs and  inequalities, but it is in so few hands, and that is not the hands of governments. For example I consider clean water to be a human right in this day and age. We have the technology, but not the will to use it for the benefit of poor people who don't have enough means to pay for it. Meanwhile the mega- billionaires have more money than they know what to do with. 

A while ago, a 'Robin Hood' tax of 0.5% was mooted that everyone should pay including the mega millionaires. This would have provided enough money to do these sort of projects, and they wouldn't even have missed it. But no, they still wouldn't pay it. 

Edited by Anna B

Maybe you should Read the Wealth of Nations.. Consumers want the cheapest  product irrespective  of where it comes from. Hence globalisation. Trump whose policies I abhor wanted to go back to isolationism unfortunately its too late. We are a global society and  we cannot and should not change .Globalisation  is the only way  the world  and its  human population can survive. The worlds problems can only be solved by all the peoples on this planet working together. It will not be in my lifetime and not in my children's but maybe by the time my great great grandchildren arrive we will have ceased to think in nationalistic terms. Why did you quote Hitler?

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

I've answered the second part of your question, and neoliberalism isn't a slur, it's a fact. One of its main aims is to privatise and cut the size of the state. That might be good for business, but is bad for more and more people, especially those having difficulty managing.

And it's corrupted by croneyism, the chumocracy, and lax taxation at the top.

They havnt done very well then, tax revenue has gone from £315 billion in 2000/01 to  £634 billion in 2019/20

https://www.statista.com/statistics/284298/total-united-kingdom-hmrc-tax-receipts/

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

They havnt done very well then, tax revenue has gone from £315 billion in 2000/01 to  £634 billion in 2019/20

https://www.statista.com/statistics/284298/total-united-kingdom-hmrc-tax-receipts/

Of course tax revenue has gone up in 20 years. So has everything else. Including the population.

However services have gone down, so they're not spending our taxes where they should, or they're privatising services and getting very bad value for money. Possibly because they're paying over the odds on the chumocracy deals.

16 hours ago, Anna B said:

So Arnold, what do you think of constant 'Growth' via  consumerism?

Considering the strain on precious resources and the environmental issues that go with it. I wouldn't think you would champion that, or do you?  Who is going to stop these mega powerful corporations in a hands- off 'free market economy?'

I’m not sure I understand the premise of the question.  Are you implying neoliberalism and environmentalism are incompatible? 

11 hours ago, Anna B said:

Of course tax revenue has gone up in 20 years. So has everything else. Including the population.

However services have gone down, so they're not spending our taxes where they should, or they're privatising services and getting very bad value for money. Possibly because they're paying over the odds on the chumocracy deals.

I didnt think it would be so much, maybe it is. Inflation since 2000 would account for 70% of the increase, so maybe a small increas.

16 hours ago, Anna B said:

It is far too simplistic to suggest that "...services have gone down, so they're not spending our taxes where they should..."

Pre-covid

Expenditure (called public spending) by the Government is rising- as a % of GDP it is rising despite Austerity etc.

Expenditure on legally obligated spending  like pensions, welfare and benefits are  Social Spending is rising in real terms and as a % of GDP it is rising rapidly.

Expenditure on government services like health, education, police etc is rising in real money but  falling as a % of GDP to balance Social Spending.

Summary of what  David Gauke Chief Secretary to the Treasury from July 2016 – June 2017  said on The Week in Westminster 06/02/2021 from 10 37

Sunak cannot raise Income Tax, NI or VAT % because of its election pledges, these account for 60% of revenue.

He can and will freeze or change thresholds of taxes and range of  VAT.

If he does this he will have to compensate low earners and balance the level of taxes paid through PAYE and by  self employed and contractors who set up a businesses to pay themselves(name).

Low paid PAYE workers will pay less tax overall. The self-employed will pay more and the one person contractor a great deal more. 

Good news -this does not need to happen now as there is plenty of money sloshing around trying to find a home-a safe home like a Government. 

Another programme to listen to is Political Thinking with Nick Robinson The Kwasi Kwarteng One, The new Business Secretary 29 January 2021 Radio 4

Increased expenditure on services is not the same as increase in services or quality of services.

8 minutes ago, enntee said:

Increased expenditure on services is not the same as increase in services or quality of services.

That's right, if it's all expended on big pay rises it doesn't mean we work any harder or better!

34 minutes ago, enntee said:

Even the Tories have realised that "Increased expenditure on services is not the same as increase in services or quality of services."

The current review of the NHS shows the concern that the Tories have that their attempt at NHS privatization  through  'commissioning' and tendering has not worked as they expected with too accountability and local cooperation.

The reversal of the damage to our school system  through privatization will follow as the Tories seek to return to a policy accountability and more local control.

The current negotiations with the franchisees about re-nationalization of the railway also indicates that the Tories have lost their taste for Thatcherism.