So What's Neoliberalism?

19 minutes ago, Anna B said:

My mistake, it might have been 5 million on benefits, not unemployed and considering they now count pensions as benefits that may have distorted the figure. However, it's still a hell of a lot and growing. I am curious to know why the government has recently (pre-covid) referred to 'more people in employment than ever before' (which I doubt) but never give the unemployment figure. There are many people unemployed who are not on benefits as they do not qualify for Universal Credit for a multitude of reason, and these are not counted in the figures.

Nevertheless; I do not fear technology. If handled properly it should benefit everyone. But in a neoliberal economy I fear it won't. The advantages will not be shared out evenly, and it will simply enable the rich to get richer, and the poor poorer.

Germany is a very different country with a different ethos to Britain. They still have a strong manufacturing base which we to a large extent did away with, going instead for the soft skills of monetarism. We also have a strong underlying class system and a very distinct North - South divide. There are those in the North still not recovered from the closing of the manufacturing industries. They have never regained useful full time employment and have instead formed an underclass of permanently and rolling underprivileged and unemployed. Many of the jobs which replaced the old manufacturing jobs were service industry jobs,  and small self employed enterprises which have been the first to go to the wall in the pandemic, many of which are unlikely to return. 

This is nothing like the last industrial revolution which created jobs, this is a deindustrialisation which will destroy jobs. I'm afraid I don't share your optimism that all these people can all be accommodated in the digital skills world. I think the sort of jobs that will be created will require a certain skill set and a level of entrepreneurship and creativity not given to all. Those jobs may be well paid, but unfortunately few and far between. Sadly, neither do I think our current education system is up to it, still mired in an old fashioned curriculum and outdated thinking, it needs a radical overhaul and much investment, to better suit it to a very different future in a rapidly changing world.  

I do hope I'm wrong, but what I've seen so far doesn't fill me with hope. 

I don’t disagree with a lot of your comments Anna,

It will be difficult for some people if the education system doesn’t provide what they need. Germany is a good case in point as they have a good vocational education and training programme.

The manufacturing point is also an interesting one, Germany is famous for its manufacturing base but the figures show it has been in decline just like most Western economies.

Manufacturing was just over 19% of GDP in 2019, for the UK that figure was just over 17% so a surprisingly small difference taking into account successive UK governments disdain for the sector.

With a bit of creativity and government support I am sure we could grow to a level similar to Germany.

Germany is also a neoliberal country, I work there quite often as we have an office in Dusseldorf and really admire a lot of the things I see.

I think the big difference I’ve noticed compared to the UK is that everyone tries to do what’s best for the country.

They buy German products wherever possible, they hate ‘taking’ from the system (just an observation not making a personal point), and they also plan long-term for the economy.

I’m guessing this mindset was born out of the ashes of war when everyone had to work together to build the country.

The unions are also stronger but work very differently to those in the UK.
They get involved with driving efficiencies on the understanding that everyone will then benefit, and don’t seem to be out for the workers at any cost and to hell with the impact on the businesses future.
It just seems a more harmonious, sensible and beneficial set-up all round.

We could have that in the UK but the scars on both sides run very deep so maybe it’s too difficult.

Ultimately I do think jobs will be created, some will be in industries yet to be developed or even created so it’s hard to grasp that potential.

Just think of how much growth in jobs and industries the advent of the Web has brought as an example.

One thing is for sure though it will be a period of huge change and yes there will be winners and losers.

Anna, do you not think there is a divide in Germany between the old East and West?  I thought there was.

Have you researched it or are you just making a sweeping statement to support your own argument?

Edit:  Oh look.  There is.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/16/germany-east-west-gaps-persist-30-years-reunification

Edited by Arnold_Lane

Post(s) have been removed because they could be considered to breach our Terms of Service or Forum Rules.

On 29/01/2021 at 12:01, Anna B said:

Davos (the world meeting of the great and the good) last meeting (June 2020) was 'The Great Reset.'

Now I wonder what that could be....?

https://medium.com/metalstream/the-great-reset-the-death-of-currency-how-will-you-survive-it-96d355c0b88e

Announced in June 2020 the theme of the current World Economic Forum is "The Great Reset"

There has been considerable internet activity concerning "Great Reset" with  reported links with groups usually associated with "conspiracies", be careful!

On 28/01/2021 at 13:23, Janus said:

The government has produced a list of 139 employers that have failed to pay the minimum wage. 

@Anna B

It's an up hill struggle Anna. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/rogue-employers-named-and-shamed-for-failing-to-pay-minimum-wage

139 out of 4.2Miilion companies registered with Companies house or 0.0033% of business? 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-company-statistics-2018-to-2019

I think as a barometer of companies adhering to the guidelines its not an uphill struggle at all when 99.9867% of companies or over 4.1 Million companies are paying the minimum wage.

Yes some companies will not be active on the register but even if you took 25% off then 139 is next to nothing in the grand scheme of things

46 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

I think as a barometer of companies adhering to the guidelines its not an uphill struggle at all when 99.9867% of companies or over 4.1 Million companies are paying the minimum wage.

Yes some companies will not be active on the register but even if you took 25% off then 139 is next to nothing in the grand scheme of things

I understand the minimum wage is a law which must be followed, not a guideline.

On 27/01/2021 at 23:47, Anna B said:

Take as an example Jeff Bezos, owner of Amazon. Certainly he has invested millions and employs many thousands, but in generally low minimum wage, insecure work. And at the cost of how many thousands of jobs on the high street? The High street has been decimated and is unlikely to return so we will all be forced into online shopping.

I believe that Amazon pays its workers a couple of quid more than the minimum wage and has done so since 2018. In fact a lot of those jobs on the high street are the ones that generally pay around the minimum wage mark.

As for online shopping I welcome it and many others do that's why it is popular. Simple, convenient and in most cases also cheaper.

5 hours ago, apelike said:

I believe that Amazon pays its workers a couple of quid more than the minimum wage and has done so since 2018. In fact a lot of those jobs on the high street are the ones that generally pay around the minimum wage mark.

As for online shopping I welcome it and many others do that's why it is popular. Simple, convenient and in most cases also cheaper.

Will it still be cheaper when all the shops are shut and online shopping has cornered the market.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Will it still be cheaper when all the shops are shut and online shopping has cornered the market.

Who knows but if other shops are closed how would we know?

It used to be markets, shops, corner shops, then supermarkets, and now online purchasing and delivery has taken off. Laws were changed in the past to stop retail price maintenance and laws repealing the 5 and a half day week allowing trading 24/7. That's what is called progress, the modern way and it's also now what the majority of consumers seem to want. Unfortunately if high street shops don't adapt they will just fade away because of competition.

1 hour ago, apelike said:

Who knows but if other shops are closed how would we know?

It used to be markets, shops, corner shops, then supermarkets, and now online purchasing and delivery has taken off. Laws were changed in the past to stop retail price maintenance and laws repealing the 5 and a half day week allowing trading 24/7. That's what is called progress, the modern way and it's also now what the majority of consumers seem to want. Unfortunately if high street shops don't adapt they will just fade away because of competition.

Rather unfair competition don't you think, when highstreet shops have to pay rents, rates and all sorts of business taxes when Amazon (for example) doesn't pay it's fair share of tax at all? And gets away with it....

That is pure Neoliberalism in action. Win by any means and devil take the hindmost.