Everton V Sheffield Wednesday Fa Cup

i put this on as it seems our next game,i can go back easy to 1966,tears galore,but i am sure many can think of a lot more? anyway hope we can at least come out of this with some pride.

Strange how they seem to have improved without a manager. Was listening to football heaven yesterday lots of people blaming the owner for Wednesday’s misfortune.

Edited by *Wallace*

I expect we'll field a very young side (as will Everton) and lose.

On 16/01/2021 at 16:55, bassett one said:

i put this on as it seems our next game,i can go back easy to 1966,tears galore,but i am sure many can think of a lot more? anyway hope we can at least come out of this with some pride.

The Owls lost in a replay to Everton in the FA Cup the season before that, after a draw at Goodison Park.

30 minutes ago, St Petre said:

The Owls lost in a replay to Everton in the FA Cup the season before that, after a draw at Goodison Park.

I think Fred Pickering equalised in the last minute but no excuses for the replay, 0-3

I remember going to Goodison Park in 60,s,    drawing 2-2  a young rightback called Burton (not sure of first name) making his debut put through his own goal. 

4 hours ago, ALAN 58 said:

I remember going to Goodison Park in 60,s,    drawing 2-2  a young rightback called Burton (not sure of first name) making his debut put through his own goal. 

Kenny Burton. He was more than a little exposed in the replay too.

Edit. Now then, is the old grey matter playing tricks? A bit of research shows that he didn’t make his debut until 1967 or 1968.  But I do remember a fullback having a stinker in the replay. It might have been Andy Burgin.

Edited by Jim Hardie

9 hours ago, ALAN 58 said:

Kenny Burton 2-2 1969, Ritchie and Woodall scored for Wednesday.

6 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Kenny Burton. He was more than a little exposed in the replay too.

Edit. Now then, is the old grey matter playing tricks? A bit of research shows that he didn’t make his debut until 1967 or 1968.  But I do remember a fullback having a stinker in the replay. It might have been Andy Burgin.

Andy Burgin his career lasted 8 days and 3 games with Wednesday.

Edited by Alextopman

Hi Alex, It was Andy Burgin and not Kenny Burton the  first game 2-2 was played 9th Jan 65 with the replay 0-3 on the 13th. I  remember Ron Springett shaking his head in disgust at the o.g.  Only for us to meet them again in the final the following season , enough said. 

2 hours ago, ALAN 58 said:

Hi Alex, It was Andy Burgin and not Kenny Burton the  first game 2-2 was played 9th Jan 65 with the replay 0-3 on the 13th. I  remember Ron Springett shaking his head in disgust at the o.g.  Only for us to meet them again in the final the following season , enough said. 

Apparently Burgin was a last minute team change at Goodison. Brian Hill was named at right back in the programme.

55 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Apparently Burgin was a last minute team change at Goodison. Brian Hill was named at right back in the programme.

Yes it was Andy Burgin with the own goal (I think it was in the last couple of minutes) in the draw at Goodison Park. I believe Fred  Pickering might have got more than one goal in the Hillsborough replay. Kenny Burton and his brother Geoff -I used to hang around with in those days- I think made his debut until the 1969-70 season and we all know what happened at the end of that.

55 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Wasn't  a young Wilf Smith the regular right back in early 1965  (taking over from Peter Johnson) ? Perhaps  Wilf was injured that day.

4 hours ago, ALAN 58 said:

Yes that's correct it is what I was trying to say, he played both cup games and one league game in 8 days.