Jump to content RIP Sheffield Admin Mort

Spurs V Blades

Fear this lot as one of the most decent and most dangerous teams in the league. From a defensive position, they can rip you to pieces and score a goal in a matter of several passes. Could speak about the obvious threat of Son and Kane, with thenty-odd goals between them already this season. But they break in numbers and score goals from all over the place. Oh the ability to take the likes of Bale, alli, vinicius and bergwijn off the bench 😂

Soon an unchaged starting XI from the Newcastle win I see.....

Ampadu has been particularly decent recently and I expect him to excel against spurs, as he looks to force himself into Lampards plans for next year. Basham, we'll he is Chris Basham!... Cost us nowt from a financially struggling Blackpool team and over 250 appearances later, he's better than he has ever been and a key player for us.

Up top for us, I expect the ever featured graft horse that is McGoldrick. He's probably going to be partnered by Burke again I imagine, with his blistering pace and recent goal...he is looking more the finished article (but he needs goals!). Moussett, Brewster and Billy, will all be hoping to get on the pitch.

In midfield I can see him going for Lundstram again, alongside fleck and Norwood. With a really decent looking bogle in the side again! He looks full of tricks and confidence at the minute, with fancy flicks and bursts into the box!...the only other player to mention being the tiny grafter that is Osborne.

We are the underdogs again and on paper it looks like an absolute hammering. But, if we are disciplined and cautious, we can frustrate the hell out of them. A clean sheet would be a dream, but I can't see it against those sorts of names!

We need somebody to stand up and be counted in front of goal.

My predication- a deluded score draw.

We must take heart from last seasons performances against spurs , i was at  the away fixture be it a draw, we gave then a proper football lesson, even with VAR against us.

Yes we are underdogs, but anything is possible .

Well, unites won 2 on the trot now and I can see them easily beating spurs, i'll go 3-1. What  you all think?

Last week, the players had a temporary reprieve from playing teams much better than them but today I think it'll be business as usual. Spurs tend to go a goal up then go on the defensive so I'm predicting 0-1.

Enda replaces Osborne then due to a knock. No disrespect to the lad but he had been patchy this season and needs to be firing on all cylinders. Osborne has put himself about since he broke into the squad and he gives Enda some boots to fill, if only in terms of graft and work rate.

McGoldrick and Burke are the right starting pairing. In all fairness, Dave has a very experienced head on his shoulders and helps bring us into games. Burke's pace has caused some real problems the last few games, he's scored a goal now, but he's also fluffed a few great chances. Hopefully he is hitting some sort of form, it does look like it is starting to come together for him not he's gelled in.

It's great to see George'ios back on the bench today, again he has to fight for a starting berth because Bogle has been a breath of fresh air. He looks bright, confident, pacey and tricky. It looks like McGoldrick has hit it off with him as well, they seem on the same wavelength and know each others runs, natural positions and overall style of play. If Bogle continues as he has been, it is quite simple...there is no sentiment and he keeps his shirt! Performances are all that matter!

Billy looked Sharp in warm up (no pun intended). He looks charged and determined, he confidently popped the penalty away midweek and he looks ready to force himself into the gaffers plans. He made a real impact off the bench the other day and I expect to see a similar role today when Burke again runs himself ragged.

Spurs score first half goals and often lead at half time, if they managed to hold on to every first half lead, they would be top of the table now. We need to be extremely disciplined and make sure that we do our defensive work sensibly and correctly. It's a no brained that this lot are dangerous with the players that they have, but if we get up too high, they will break and rip us open on the counter. I expect Egan to be tightly man marking Kane and Basham to do the same with Son.

We have absolutely nothing to lose in our current position. Nobody expects a single thing from us! Come on boys play with sense and play with pride! UTB!

What do you say about that first 5 and goal? Basham has lost son and he has found himself free a couple of times in opposing positions. Kane is dropping deep and making runs through, therefore Egan and Ampadu need to talk to each other...

The corner, pathetic marking! Man vs Boy, it's as simple as that! Out-thought and Out-fought, somebody else needs to be picking a player of auriers physicality up.

And as I write this, Son breaks through again as Basham fails to keep hold of him! He's giving him a yard, he's not managing him! Sort it out, or we get punished, simple!

Edited by cmonkes

Keane just opining that he can't believe how bad United are.  And Souness describing Norwood as pathetic... have to agree.

It's the basics of football again, we know how teams like this play...yet we switch off from basic responsibilities and find ourselves picking up the cost. 

That second goal, again why? For the life of me come on! I have no coaching badges, nor do I pretend to have, I've played at a non-league standard and a sunday league standard....but I've played football and I watch football. I saw the obvious threats early doors, why are we falling foul to simple mistakes?

From the first 5 minutes, it was quite obvious how Son and Kane were looking to play. It's nothing new, they play very much to their own strengths and do it very well.

That second goal for crying out loud!.... How many times had Kane dropped into that pocket prior to that moment? We gave the ball away sloppily, pathetically, not good enough from Norwood, simple as that. But Basham is trying to pick up the runs of who he sees running! It's not zonal, it's not disciplined man marking, it's headless chicken!. Egan drops off, basham runs across to try and close Kane down. Terrible, terrible defending!...Whether we are up against world class or not, identify the threats, do the basics right and you keep yourself in a game. You force a change of style and you limit the opposition from playing to their own strengths.

If I was a player sat in that changing room now, I would be kicking off big time! I would be absolutely fuming, genuinely fuming!...Basham and Egan would be getting a roasting. They are miles better than that first half performance! Headless chickens! They need to talk and they need to man mark, stay goal side and nul the threats. Not good enough!

If they don't sort it, then I have no doubt that Spurs will bang in 2 more.....

The other side of the pitch, shame really. We actually found a bit of rhythm and grew a pair of reproduction glands. After being scared of going forwards, a few players grew in confidence and began to drive us forwards. Credit to Lundstram and Fleck for remaining position and credit to Burke for his runs. McGoldrick again, battling away but I feel this limits us at times. He has dropped deep and linked up with midfielders and wide men, he has kept us in possession. But when he is deep and these balls go into the box, we've then lost ourselves a key target man in the box! If dave is going to play that link up role, if he is to drop deep....then we need to explore the change of formation / role again. We need a front two. We need to maintain a threat in the box!

Attackingly second half, bright and positive start. Rant over...

Right enough seen.....

Norwood for Sharp or Brewster. He's well off his game, pass completion and reading of game not good enough. He's letting Fleck and Lundstram down.

And finally and thankfully we bang one in. We'll played Flecky....that is why we need you in the box dave, we need target men!

The above stands, Norwood off!

Edited by cmonkes

Tottenham third goal?

The finish = Quality....

Avoidable? Totally!

Norwood...oh dear.  He strolls around, strokes aesthetic looking cross-field balls... all to absolutely zero effect.

I don't suppose there's much more than I can say to summarise, that I haven't said above. 

Against the best players, playing for the best teams in the world. It is inevitable that you are going to find yourselves under the cosh and undone by sheer brilliance. I'm not going to sit here and have that today though, no way! 

I've sat here and listened to the sky commentators stating how Jose has got it right. Again branded a "tactical genius" and lauded for his teams performance and win. I'm not having any of that either...he didn't have to do much today, some of our players did it for him.

Three goals, all of which could and should have been better managed...could and should have been prevented. 

I'm not one to usually scapegoat, but I am utterly disappointed in Basham and Egan. Both are far better than that performance! You have to shield responsibility for that defensive performance. No discipline or organisation for large periods of the game. Played straight into Spurs hands! Gifted them time and space! Poor in marking key players! Not good enough today!....you can't hide away from that showing!

Oli Norwood! Who was that wearing your shirt today?.....Terrible! Nesh in the challenge, off the pace.of the play, chasing shadows......and pass completion? Wow, I don't think I have ever seen you give the ball away so many times, and soon sloppily....ever! Woeful performance! Not good enough today!

For me, basham and Norwood could have been pulled off at half time quite easily! Neither warranted another 45 minutes. They are way much better than that! Terrible, terrible performances.

Key players, below par performances, lack of basics! Played right into the oppositions hands. There was nothing extraordinary required of Spurs today, they had opportunities handed to them on a plate. We gave away possession in key areas, we gave them time and space. 

The corner kick? Man vs Boy! Poor marking and a complete lack of physicality. Gave them the perfect headstart. Basics! Not good enough! Should Bogle have even been mark marking Aurier from set pieces? Debatable, he neshed it!

Other side of the pitch...we continue to show the things that aren't working for us. McGoldricks work rate in tracking back, linking up with midfielders and even making wider runs to bring players in from midfield....it's commendable yes. But when you drop deep, we are then left with nobody in the box! It would all be good and well if Lundstram and Fleck bursted into the box, bringing numbers....but they don't enough. The ball goes out wide and we bang balls into the box! McGoldrick himself out there putting balls into the box.....but there is absolutely nobody in there to attack it! Burke, alone! It doesn't work.....

McGoldrick gets himself into the box, into a dangerous position and what's he do? Put it away!.....it is clear as anything  I've said it for weeks!!.. play players to their strengths! I think a great deal of this is down to work ethic. But you are a striker dave! You are on the pitch to score goals....you are no good 20-25 yards away from the goal. Yes vary your play and by all means drop deep every now and again! But seriously! You belong in the box!

Utterly disappointing for so many......

Mild positives - Fleck and Lundstrams desire to get the ball and drive forwards. It has been absent for a while and they are starting to do what they are good at. 

So hard to draw too many positives. We grew into the game, we had spells....but we made mistakes, we created our own fate. 

12 minutes ago, steved32 said:

Norwood...oh dear.  He strolls around, strokes aesthetic looking cross-field balls... all to absolutely zero effect.

I have always been an avid supporter of Norwood, but more recently I have to admit (and it saddens me to say), that he is looking more and more limited.  Creative midfielder required ASAP.