Sign in to follow this  

What Type Of 'Drop In'  Facility Would Best Help People With Depression?

The following idea is obviously not intended for the current climate of the pandemic. Things will change eventually, and the risk to health from mixing in close proximity will improve.

For  a few years now, I've kept 'visiting the idea' of creating a sort of drop in place for people who suffer with depression. 

Quite a number of years ago I recall how flexible the MIND drop-in centre was. It was always  a very relaxed and compassionate environment . 

All that changed with cutbacks to local authority funding, and the organisation had to justify it's spending. MIND then became quite regimented with a defined structure of activities-almost like a school. The 'warmth' as I perceived  it had gone in my opinion. I'm sure many will still find it helpful with the current  format.

I know of a  company that would provide a room for free-say one day per week for 3 hours. I would be willing to provide basic refreshments free of charge in the form of tea/coffee and biscuits etc. Beyond that, I have no idea.

I do not have any experience of arranging this sort of thing, but am interested in exploring  the options. I'd like to hear what people's constructive thoughts are- critical or otherwise. Is this 'pie in the sky', or is it feasible?

Hi Janus. That sounds like a really good idea. I've no experience of support groups myself but if you look at

'wikihow - how to start a support group' it gives what looks like some useful information. Good luck with your venture.

Thank you Rollypolly.

I like Rolly  have no experience of support groups but if I were to need one on a drop in basis I'd like  a few board games, cards, things that I would be able to sit at a table and join in with.

That is also a good idea Jane, thank  you. A good 'ice breaker' for strangers to engage with each other.