Dilemma Over Website Content

UK business and site, it's a service rather than an item for sale, sounds OK and the "right" price.

Being careful, tried to check the seller out and clicked on their "Testimonials" page.... to find nothing.

No comments at all.

It's been this way since I first checked well over a week ago, so I think I can safely rule out the page being updated.

It's a bit striking, bothering to have a separate page for "praise worthy" comments but not having any?

Bit nervous of it, and tending to look elsewhere.

What think you?

10 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

UK business and site, it's a service rather than an item for sale, sounds OK and the "right" price.

Being careful, tried to check the seller out and clicked on their "Testimonials" page.... to find nothing.

No comments at all.

It's been this way since I first checked well over a week ago, so I think I can safely rule out the page being updated.

It's a bit striking, bothering to have a separate page for "praise worthy" comments but not having any?

Bit nervous of it, and tending to look elsewhere.

What think you?

I'm leaning to poor web design than anything sinister. Most templates have a testimonials page and it might have been a case of "yeah, we'll get something put up there" and just never getting round to it.

Tried a Whois request on the URL? 

There should be a physical contact address if there isn't one then move on. 

Edited by andyofborg

2 hours ago, Resident said:

Tried a Whois request on the URL?

No. Good idea.

Ta.

1 hour ago, andyofborg said:

There should be a physical contact address if there isn't one then move on. 

Yes, there is one.

And a quick look on G.Maps confirmed the company name.

1 hour ago, RiffRaff said:

No. Good idea.

Ta.

Yes, there is one.

And a quick look on G.Maps confirmed the company name.

so at least they exist, which is a good start. 

i'm not sure i'd rely solely on testamonials on a web site, after all you have no idea how many are real and of course they wouldn't put the poor ones on. 

i guess it depends on the consequences of these people proving to be useless. If it's significant then maybe try and find some satisfied customers or ask them for a couple of reference clients... 

For extra confidence, do a reverse image search on any "example of our work" images. A friend discovered someone who'd nicked such images off another business's web site.

If it's a service and an ongoing thing, it might be best to trust your instincts. If alarm bells are ringing, move on.

A service or warranty is only as good as the company giving it. The company goes under, so does your money, in most cases.

1 hour ago, zach said:

If it's a service and an ongoing thing, it might be best to trust your instincts. If alarm bells are ringing, move on.

A service or warranty is only as good as the company giving it. The company goes under, so does your money, in most cases.

Yes. Good points.

Having slept on it, I'm still unsure, so will follow the instinct and move on.

Cheers.