Notre Dame High School

Does any one remember Bernadette Taylor? She went to ND from 1961/2-69. She had sisters called Mary Theresa, Madeleine and a brother called Edward; there may have been others.

We met at university in Derry/ Coleraine N. Ireland in 1969. Some of us are having a reunion in August this year. we would love to see her there .

She married a Derry man called Jimmy Ross. We are godparents to her daughter , Elizabeth. We believe she became a teacher after we lost contact in 1980 or thereabouts.

CA and Terry

On 02/12/2018 at 15:31, Anne Todd said:

I mentioned my best friends over the years were Anne Unwin and Anne Jacques.  My other friend was Anne Blackwell.  Does anyone remember these girls

On 02/12/2018 at 15:31, Anne Todd said:

On 23/09/2014 at 13:36, NewBiz said:

Does anybody remember the 3 period lesson with Mrs Barefoot which was passed watching her taking various kitchen utensils out of the drawers and cupboards one at a time, and asking us if we could name each article. The items included such mind boggling things as knives, forks, spoons, bowls etc etc.

At the end of nearly one and half hours, she asked us if anyone could tell her what we'd spent the whole lesson doing. There was silence, as as far as we were concerned we'd done nothing. Assuming our combined silence must indicate a mental deficiency, she then triumphantly announced that 'we'd been getting our things out'

She was truly bonkers was Mrs Barefoot. She used to call me a naughty owl and a naughty donkey, and make me write out lines to that effect, sitting in the back room where the filthy, dirt stiffened dishcloths lived. Happy days!

This is something that I have just stumbled on while searching old teachers at Notre Dame! I remember Mrs Barefoot and I thought I might have imagined how mad she was but at last this proves she was, as you say, 'truly bonkers'!

You really made me laugh! I love that you were called a naughty owl and donkey!

My memories are of endless pointless things and many scone recipes. I clearly remember designing the layout of a tea tray with cloth and doilies, but not actually ever seeing a tray!

My worst lesson came early in the year when we were making a packet of Angel Delight by adding some powder then some milk then some powder then some milk and whisking each time.  I read the instructions on the back of the packet and put up my hand.  I said that the instructions were that you put ALL the powder and milk in then whisk.  Mrs Barefoot ordered me out of the room into the small back room where I had to read recipe books (much better than her lesson) Another time I accidentally turned off all the gas ovens and was banished to the small room again.  Later in the year we started to put bits of scone mixture down the back of her overalls when she wasn't looking.

I got some kind of prize at the City Hall but failed Domestic Science!

The  rumour was that she was an ex Yorkshire tennis champion....but there were a lot of rumours!

Everyone thought Miss Molloy's fiance had been killed in the war and that she always had her hand on her throat because a man had tried to strangle her.

Miss Feely was the Latin teacher and we used to chant

'Feelibus sitibus on the deskilorum

Deskibus collapsibus

Feely on the floorum'

I was there from 1975 - 1978 then moved away from Sheffield so was only at Cavendish St. Will you give me your real name?

I am looking for people who went to Note Dame High School between 1996 and 2001 but really anyone who went to Notre Dame at any point can comment too 👍

I am looking to read people's comments of the school during thoes years as we were so blessed to have been at such a good school which was the best in the city at the time. I wasn't a golden student by all means though......back then as punishment it was litter pick at lunch times along with the usual detentions!  Also I would. Love to know how people got on after school and what they are all up to now. It would be great to reconnect with lost school friends and colleagues. If anyone knows me I am Lee Mullin, at school my surname was stupid it was Mullin-Ingham but now, thankfully just Mullin. I left 6th Form worked like a slave till 2012 then got married with 5 kids and moved to the West Midlands. Since then not done much been a family man mostly.

One of my biggest regrets was not keeping in touch with people from school when I promised I would. Sadly a few people I knew at school have since passed away, and there is no worse feeling than regret for not staying in touch. I remember so many people from school but I won't put their names up on here as I never know what issues that could cause these days but if you remember me and comment then that would be fab 👍

Our head of year was Mr Johnson and I saw him that much as I was always in trouble for silly things I was starting to think he was my dad 😂 even my dad said he'd start meeting him at a pub as he sees him more than his own mates 😂 he was our head of year from Y7 till Y10. He use to always take his shoes off when teaching he was so laid back and for a head of year was rather funny really but if you crossed him.....he would verbally kick your ass! 

Head of the school was Mr Conway who was strict but very fair also. We use to have to hand in our Journals every so often to be checked. A lot of people would colour them in and he hated it and always gave them bad remarks for doing so. Mr Lawrence was assistant head and took over as I left I think, he helped me a lot at one point as I found maths a real struggle and writing and he worked with me a lot which was nice of him. 

For some reason I can't remember my form tutor from Y8 to Y10 but she taught English, and had the room that was on the 1st floor right by the stairs opposite the corridor for the staff room. In Y7 we had Mr Wilkins for our tutor in one of thoes temp buildings behind the 7th Form building and what was the Drama classrooms. It was a dark dyer classroom that was!

The OLC and the technology centre had been built and opened up in thoes years as well replacing thoes temp classrooms that were up for longer than they should have been 😅 also modern technology was starting to come in so the OHP (overhead projector) and TV on a stand with the VCR and chalkboards ect was a thing of the past now. We had a new artificial pitch built as well think that was 1999. 

PE teacher was Mr Bordman I can't forget him, he was so care free but pushed you so hard in PE! He married a German teacher I think at the school, a Mrs Haslop or Heslop?? 

I remember a Mr Goddard who taught RE in a classroom in the St Joseph building and we use to cram into a little room sometimes during RE for prayers, it got very cosy at times 😂 

I also had one of the strictest History teachers I've ever seen in my life! Mrs White I think she was called, she was funny but her punishment stood and stood for all of that year. I got into trouble asking a question as she said I wasn't listening and made me sit at her desk all through year 8!! Then because I was there I was her slave handing out books and pens and sheets ect, felt so humiliating! She did dish out some exstream punishment and you could tell she was old school and if she was allowed she would have caned you! 

The school was, probably still is, haunted by the grey lady as well on the staff staircase. When I got to 6th form and we were allowed to use thoes stairs, not many would! I did, I left school and got into the paranormal. Everytime there was a parents evening at school I would dissappear to the staircase in the dark.....i was and am still weired 😁 my parents would be looking for me and send a teacher who always knew where I was. 

There was a Tuc shop as well at the corner of the main building but the problem was you'd spend all break quing and have 30 seconds to eat your snacks 😂 

I wonder if there are still 16 buses that serve the school to cover the city? It was a long running joke when I was there about the old Andrews buses as they would always breakdown 😂😂 then became Mainline and I remember all their numbers as well! Use to que all down one side of the road. I use to get the number 60 to Crimicar Lane or to town or the 691 which was a St Marie's school bus, depending if was going home to a mates. The 60 was a normal service bus not a school bus. 

Did anyone do the Duke Of Edinburgh award through the school? I did, and it was fab. I use to love hiking all round the Dales and Peak District which was a big part of the scheme. Baslow, Edale, Chatsworth, Bakewell, Matlock ect plus all the mountains like Jacobs Ladder and Mam Tor then there was the old trails like the Pennine Way. Hiking was a big part of my life back then absolutely loved it! 

I can go on and on but I think this post is already long enough. I will add more to any replies it would be great to see who is still around. I did have all my school year photos but sadly I can't find them, so if anyone has one of thoes years I would love to see it as going through them remembering everyone would be great. 

Edited by Lee28
Added info.

I left in 1959 and know the name Sheila Fennymore.  

Does anyone remember Elizabeth Gormley?  She lived at Walkley and became a nurse.  Left Notre Dame in1958/9

On 30/03/2017 at 14:07, GOLDEN OLDIE said:

Anyone who went to Cavendish Street around 1953? What was the name of the nun who sat half way up the stone staircase selling holy pictures etc? The name of the matron and any other names of teachers. I remember Mrs Linstead (English) Mrs Chapelle (music) Miss Jowitt? Mrs Hickey (Art) and Miss Britton I think Geography???

Any memories gratefully received!!!!

Yes.  I did.  I was in a class with Angela Bailey, Susan Johnstone.

I have just had a book published called 'Bottle Green Knickers with Pockets - Growing up in 1950s Sheffield'

I have read the post with interest as I have a whole chapter devoted to Notre Dame between 1952 - 1959 when I was there. Yes, I remember Elizabeth Gormley, Miss Jowett who taught us some of the most weird sex education anyone could wish for!! We learnt more about sex from Susan Johnstone who had a boyfriend who was a medical student! She brought some of his physiology books to school. It was the first time we had seen a naked man!!! Mrs Linstead was an excellent English teacher, Mrs Chapelle was very large and Mrs Hickey was lovely!! My book has  pictures of some of the girls to include Pat Coyne, Andrea Wright, Ann Emmett, Angela Bailey?

Even if you are too young to remember the 50s, you may have parents or grandparents who do and it would make a lovely present! For details contact me on - [email protected] 

On 23/06/2006 at 12:36, SarahSausage said:

:P Went to Notre Dame 1994-2001

Is that where you got your name? 😆

When the eleven plus  exam was on the go, did you have to pass this exam to go to Notre Dame ?

Having my book published 'Bottle Green Knickers With Pockets - Growing up in 1950s Sheffield' has been a voyage of discovery!! Especially with a whole chapter devoted to the Notre Dame High School of that time!!! I have been contacted by so many people to include Deidre Hodges (as was) Head Girl in the 1950s and with a fascinating story of her own to tell. Her sister Prue was in my class.

To answer 'Pattricias' query. No, you did not have to pass the Eleven Plus to go towhat was the only Catholic Girls Grammar School in Sheffield and district. A bone of contention for me as there were relatively few girls passing the Eleven Plus, certainly from my school, and many girls whose parents were well off enough to pay for their education there. Todays selection processes are much more fair.

[email protected]

Edited by GOLDEN OLDIE

I went there 1976 -82, remember Mrs Barefoot