Notre Dame High School

Does anybody remember the 3 period lesson with Mrs Barefoot which was passed watching her taking various kitchen utensils out of the drawers and cupboards one at a time, and asking us if we could name each article. The items included such mind boggling things as knives, forks, spoons, bowls etc etc.

At the end of nearly one and half hours, she asked us if anyone could tell her what we'd spent the whole lesson doing. There was silence, as as far as we were concerned we'd done nothing. Assuming our combined silence must indicate a mental deficiency, she then triumphantly announced that 'we'd been getting our things out'

She was truly bonkers was Mrs Barefoot. She used to call me a naughty owl and a naughty donkey, and make me write out lines to that effect, sitting in the back room where the filthy, dirt stiffened dishcloths lived. Happy days!

Edited by NewBiz

Hi Everyone, :)

Just wondered if anyone on here attended Notre Dame High School.

I attended N D 68 years ago: Had to catch a tram into the city and a bus up to oakbrook and woe betide you if you were late, I was a prefect in St. Joesphs house, I woe green prefects badge.

---------- Post added 24-09-2014 at 15:52 ----------

no sorry I didn't.

I was the quiet bewildered one who did not say much and whose famly could not have afforded Ballet lessons-- it was a struggle to get the money for the uniforms. My sister went the year before me and brother went to De La Salle a year or two after.

I failed my french at school but passed years later when age 60.

My claim to fame was I was in the same class as Judy Parfitt who made it in films.

hazel

Hazel, I must have been in your class, Judy trapped my finger in the door of the salle, I had to ring the bell when sister Marie was on her way up the staircase and Judy had to stand at the door and make the pupils in the salle quiet, I kidded her on that sister was on the way, everyone was silent, then when she really was on her way, she slammed the door with my finger in it and me, ringing the bell like mad. Her punishment was to go with me to the hospital.

I attended N D 68 years ago: Had to catch a tram into the city and a bus up to oakbrook and woe betide you if you were late, I was a prefect in St. Joesphs house, I woe green prefects badge.

---------- Post added 24-09-2014 at 15:52 ----------

Hazel, I must have been in your class, Judy trapped my finger in the door of the salle, I had to ring the bell when sister Marie was on her way up the staircase and Judy had to stand at the door and make the pupils in the salle quiet, I kidded her on that sister was on the way, everyone was silent, then when she really was on her way, she slammed the door with my finger in it and me, ringing the bell like mad. Her punishment was to go with me to the hospital.[/quote

Hi Pauline... Or Hazel..My sister Pat Kenrick was at Notre Dame years ago..She is 80 now and still lives in Sheffield. Her Cell No is 07954030279. She will ring you if you text her your number..She has no computer and is unable to use one...If you could be so kind]..Many thanks Peter kenrick

I was at Oakbrook with Angela Bailey and Dianne Fisher. I remember Mrs Lingard- wonderful English teacher. I seem to remember that Notre Dame was a bit snobbish. The nuns loved the girls from rich families as opposed to those, like me, from Council house backgrounds!!

I was at Oakbrook with Angela Bailey and Dianne Fisher. I remember Mrs Lingard- wonderful English teacher. I seem to remember that Notre Dame was a bit snobbish. The nuns loved the girls from rich families as opposed to those, like me, from Council house backgrounds!!

Dont know what year you went to ND my sister Pat Kenrick went in the late 40's 50's.. She is trying to find old school pals who are still alive??

I went in around 1953.

---------- Post added 05-10-2014 at 18:45 ----------

Angela Bailey and Dianne Fisher - where are you???

So much fun reading all the posts - I was at Notre Dame for 3 years from around 1970-73. Best friends were Cathy Hannon (sadly died a number of years ago), Geraldine, Maggie, Elsa, Bridget Hickey (skipped school a few days with her and ended up with 5 weeks of detention) really enjoyed my time there - even with the dragon Deputy Head Miss Cook!! I remember a time when the sixth formers came to Cav and did a take off of the Osmonds and Miss Cook stopped the show because it wasnt the right thing for her girls to see!! I was in the third year and used to ring the school beel - had loads of Osmond posters given me to shove through her door lol:hihi::hihi:

So much fun reading all the posts - I was at Notre Dame for 3 years from around 1970-73. Best friends were Cathy Hannon (sadly died a number of years ago), Geraldine, Maggie, Elsa, Bridget Hickey (skipped school a few days with her and ended up with 5 weeks of detention) really enjoyed my time there - even with the dragon Deputy Head Miss Cook!! I remember a time when the sixth formers came to Cav and did a take off of the Osmonds and Miss Cook stopped the show because it wasnt the right thing for her girls to see!! I was in the third year and used to ring the school beel - had loads of Osmond posters given me to shove through her door lol:hihi::hihi:

hello, i knew two sisters that went to notre dame when it was situated at the top of cavendish sreet and convent walk, but it amazed me was that where it is now was in 1895 the home of the laycock family, the ones of laycock engineering,

Anyone who went to Cavendish Street around 1953? What was the name of the nun who sat half way up the stone staircase selling holy pictures etc? The name of the matron and any other names of teachers. I remember Mrs Linstead (English) Mrs Chapelle (music) Miss Jowitt? Mrs Hickey (Art) and Miss Britton I think Geography???

Any memories gratefully received!!!!

The reason I registered here was because I tried to remember the words to the school song. Since then I've never forgotten what 'serried ranks' means!

With hearts aglow round banner bright in serrid ranks we stand

All ready for the glorious fight against all wrong for Christ's own right

To rule our lovered land, to rule our lovered land.

And in fighting we will sing

And our voices gladly ring

With homage true to Christ our lord

To Christ and Notre Dame

That's all I can recall, hope it brings back some happy memories!

I went to Notre Dame, Cavendish Street in 1957 and Oakbrook in 1960. Name was Anne Holmes.  I have memories of Sister Scolastica, I think was her name, threatening the class with her big safety pin if they did not behave.

Edited by Anne Todd
To enter a fact which I thought someone might remember

3 hours ago, Anne Todd said:

I went to Notre Dame, Cavendish Street in 1957 and Oakbrook in 1960. Name was Anne Holmes.  I have memories of Sister Scolastica, I think was her name, threatening the class with her big safety pin if they did not behave.  My friends were Anne Unwin and Anne Jacques.