Poor Internet Speed Virgin

1 minute ago, Hans-solo said:

This is second pc first replaced cause engineer said it was pc ive wiped this one and put new windows on it so chances of being pc now is nill  

If you are still having issues, and you're sure it's not the PC..
It's not the connection as Engineers have been out and tested ok, It was ok on your Phone too (post further up)
then the only other option is as the engineer said...

the Ethernet Cable it's self has a break/fault.. 

or if you're using WiFi, you might just need to change the WiFi channel....

I've bought an ethernet lead no difference its both ethernet and wifi issue just formatting pc for third time don't expect any difference only thing thats original is op system its win 10 Pro education but surely that op system wouldn't be the issue never mind ive canceled direct debit and ordered sky they can whistle for payment

I doubt it's Windows 10 at all..

And Cancelling the Direct Debit, and ordering Sky wont make a difference if the connection isn't the problem (and I honestly believe it isn't) - and I honestly also believe you will have more problems with Sky, than you did with Virgin..

And besides, phone Virgin, and Cancel it, don't cancel the Direct Debit, as you are then in breach of contract and liable for court action.. (as you pay behind, for the month you have just had, not the coming month.. 

On 08/01/2021 at 14:50, Hans-solo said:

Its been unplugged and reset that many times its getting dizzy when I had sky last year I got the full speed and modem was in living room with pc in bedroom virgin has never worked from first day it was installed last October they just keep making up excuses its also had router replaced 3 times

So you had better speeds with the same PC connected to Sky than you get with Virgin? If that is so then could it be that the new router has a different type of wifi (2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz etc) or maybe a different wifi chipset that doesn't work well with the chipset in the PC?

Edit: Oh sorry forgot you also used Ethernet. In that case it is a bit puzzling. Does the Virgin router have a 1Gb ethernet port or 100Mb?

Edited by andysm

3 hours ago, andysm said:

So you had better speeds with the same PC connected to Sky than you get with Virgin? If that is so then could it be that the new router has a different type of wifi (2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz etc) or maybe a different wifi chipset that doesn't work well with the chipset in the PC?

Edit: Oh sorry forgot you also used Ethernet. In that case it is a bit puzzling. Does the Virgin router have a 1Gb ethernet port or 100Mb?

VM Routers/hubs are 1Gb Ethernet ports.... 

Have you any other software installed after you have reformatted and put Win 10 onto the PC?  I'm thinking if you put some AV software on for instance and 2 products are competing with each other.  If this is so, it may not have shown previously when you had Sky if one of them was in "passive" mode.

On 13/01/2021 at 16:26, Hans-solo said:

Virgin been today to try again engineer spent 10 mins checking said its one of 2 things ethernet lead? 

The engineer said its one of 2 things but you mention only one, the ethernet lead. What was the other thing?

On 14/01/2021 at 19:54, Hans-solo said:

The pc

Thanks.

Have you tried a live Linux distro? If it is the same with that then it will then rule out problems with the Windows OS.

I have recently had a problem that was similar and after being systematic and replacing things bit by bit and also reinstalling Win 10 it turned out to be a faulty CPU. I changed motherboard, changed GPU, changed drive, changed memory and the last thing I tried was changing the CPU. Its the first time I have ever come across a faulty CPU and one of the reasons I changed it last. 

To prove a point i bought a win 10 netbook and ill be damned its exactly the same wifi is worse than ethernet but neither are good maybe I'm missing something but that to me says its a virgin issue

2 hours ago, Hans-solo said:

To prove a point i bought a win 10 netbook and ill be damned its exactly the same wifi is worse than ethernet but neither are good maybe I'm missing something but that to me says its a virgin issue

I will admit, It is a strange one... let's compile everything together (feel free to correct or add if I missed anything)

- You have slow internet on your PC, 
- You tried both Ethernet and WiFi, it was still slow..
- Virgin Attended (or you phoned and talked to them at least, in the first instance) - no problems were reported or found etc... they said it was your PC or Cable.
- You also tried your phone on the Virgin WiFi, which got 290mb(?) download  speed - which seems fine..

- (Did virgin attend a 2nd time?)
- You formatted/reinstalled your PC, and the speed is still bad on WiFi and Ethernet..
- You have just purchased the Win10 netbook, which still has slow speeds on WiFi, but Ethernet isn't really that good either...

as I said, Sorry if I missed anything/got it wrong above, feel free to correct :)

But, going on the above, here are a couple of things I can say...

1) Your phones speed seeming ok on WiFi, would GENERALLY point to the Internet connection (Virgin) being ok.. - is your phone STILL getting the decent speeds even now? - have you tried it multiple times through the day at different times, to see if the speed varies/is intermittent?

2) a new 'just purchased' laptop (and indeed a freshly reinstalled computer) will have various Windows updates to download, and install the first couple of times you boot up, please ALWAYS make sure you manually update windows, and wait until the update is complete before running any form of speed test.

3) Virgin came out to your property, they must have tested the cable coming into your home, they will have checked the modem/router settings, the signal quality of the line etc, they will likely have even either connected to your WiFi, or plugged in with ethernet, and directly run a speedtest on your connection, resulting in them saying it was ok, and it was likely your PC etc... --- if this is the case, then logically, it's either intermittent, and it wasn't an issue at the time the engineer attended, or it is indeed perfectly fine.. (which your phone also backs up)

So, basically I would say (and I know it can be annoying, if it wasn't for lock down I would offer to come and take a look myself) as above, make sure that both the PC and netbook are both fully updated, and not doing ANYTHING else in the background before running a speed test..
(also note, which netbook? as many netbooks may have a lower end CPU, and hard drive/SSD, which may not be capable of pulling the max speed from your internet/WiFi, however, it should still be a reasonable speed)

And also, if possible, run multiple speed tests, at different times of the day, throughout the day  on your phone and PC/laptop etc, try to catch if it is indeed intermittent..

Edited by Ghozer

We suppose to get virgin 200 Mbps but cannot get that on our pc,also how do you get 290 on a phone we only get about ,57 to 75, wireless

I know it's our old pc but not getting a new one,so we don't get what we pay for and virgin just tell us we cannot reduce the speed down.