Poor Internet Speed Virgin

I have a brandnew pc using virgin 350mb Internet  all I can get on pc is 50mbps at the most sometimes less things I've tried wifi extender usb dongle inbuilt wifi now a 10mtr ethernet direct to modem no difference at all originally router was in living room virgin moved to to bedroom no difference I've tried more than one pc with same results on mobile I get 290mbps anyone any idea what to try next virgin just say its pc at fault 

When you say "on mobile I get 290mbps" - is this also connected to WiFi on your router, or via 4G/5G etc?

This is my speed right now have you tried unplugging the router for a while then plugging back in ?

EB3-B33-B0-6-CCE-423-D-B497-B8-C89-A4353

Its been unplugged and reset that many times its getting dizzy when I had sky last year I got the full speed and modem was in living room with pc in bedroom virgin has never worked from first day it was installed last October they just keep making up excuses its also had router replaced 3 times

1 hour ago, Hans-solo said:

On wifi connected to router

If your phone gets 290mb, on WiFi via your router, then the problem likely isn't your router or the internet connection...
it's more than likely your PC

Either some software running/downloading in the background, or some setting that is limiting it some how etc...

.... Thinking about it.. how often do you turn on/use your computer?

If you don't use it very often (2 or 3 times a month, once per week mibbe at most etc) then it could be Windows Updates causing slow-down, as if you don't use your computer for a while, the number of updates available/needing to be installed will increase, the longer you don't use it..

If you rarely use it, it's often good to turn it on once per week when you're around and not using it, - you could manually check for Windows updates every so often as an option..

@Ghozer - could it be the machines wireless card/chip capabilities? I know my machine gets better speeds than my other halfs, but there's about 6 years difference in their ages/specs.

1 hour ago, Ghozer said:

If your phone gets 290mb, on WiFi via your router, then the problem likely isn't your router or the internet connection...
it's more than likely your PC

Either some software running/downloading in the background, or some setting that is limiting it some how etc...

I agree.  Most likely something has changed with the PC since you switched to Virgin, so check what programs/processes you are running.  Also check Programs and Settings - you are not still  running BT software by any chance as well?  Virgin should have spotted that if so, but worth checking.

To remove another possible cause, could you look at the ethernet cable you are using to see what type it is.  You are looking along the length of the cable for some writing.  It should really be Cat 6, Cat 7 or Cat 8.  If it is Cat 4 or 5, then buying a Cat 8 may speed it up a little.  I don't think that your main problem, but at least it would cancel out a possible problem if you have a higher rated cable.

1 hour ago, Hans-solo said:

when I had sky last year I got the full speed and modem was in living room with pc in bedroom virgin has never worked from first day it was installed last October they just keep making up excuses its also had router replaced 3 times

I'm assuming from this comment that it is the same PC.  If so, that would show the PC was capable of that speed, so keep telling Virgin their installation is to blame.  If you were to say you want your money back and you're going back to BT, that should spur them into action!

Virgin been today to try again engineer spent 10 mins checking said its one of 2 things ethernet lead? Like I've not tried that a dozen times or its the pc again already replaced pc for new one as we had same prob originally if anyone could tell me where to take this further it would be appreciated tried area manager suppose to ring me early today no sign of that

35 minutes ago, Hans-solo said:

Virgin been today to try again engineer spent 10 mins checking said its one of 2 things ethernet lead? Like I've not tried that a dozen times or its the pc again already replaced pc for new one as we had same prob originally if anyone could tell me where to take this further it would be appreciated tried area manager suppose to ring me early today no sign of that

Honestly, if an engineer has been out, he will have isolated your connection, tried it on his own thing, and seen no problem... Then you connect up your PC and it has a problem, it's likely your PC..  and the fact you were getting decent speeds on your phone when mentioned further up...

As I said above, something downloading something in the background maybe, (Windows updates, updates for 'other' apps) - or maybe there's some software you have installed (like a printer driver) that is trying to update and causing issues, or it's simply some configuration issue...

The only other thing you can do, is A) try someone elses laptop or computer on your connection, B) try your computer on someone elses connection..

besides that, it would mean backing up and completely wiping and reinstalling the PC, and starting fresh!

This is second pc first replaced cause engineer said it was pc ive wiped this one and put new windows on it so chances of being pc now is nill