Internet Problems In Sheffield 07/01/2021

Anyone got Vodafone internet problems?

Our Vodafone broadband went down this afternoon and still isn’t working. I’ve heard other Vodafone customers in Sheffield  are also having the same problem. been told there’s a problem at BT Exchange but can’t confirm this yet. 

Edited by nikki-red

28 minutes ago, WarPig said:

Our Vodafone broadband went down this afternoon and still isn’t working. I’ve heard other Vodafone customers in Sheffield  are also having the same problem. been told there’s a problem at BT Exchange but can’t confirm this yet. 

I’m with BT and have had no trouble so far.

We're with Sky but we had to leave Sunday night's Zoom quiz as the internet connection was so bad. Picture freezing, dropping out, phlanging/phasing sound etc. Turned everything off twice and reloaded. Nothing worked. It was the same for our buds on Gleadless Crescent.

Today seems to be fine though.

It’s the WiFi on my Vodafone router that isn’t working. Devices connected by Ethernet cable seem fine.
Whilst I’m waiting weeks for Vodafone to dispute the fault and send a new router I’ve connected an access point to it which is now giving me Wi-Fi. 

Restart your router...

if that fails, re-set it,  usually a little pin-hole somewhere to do this.... (you may have to re-setup your WiFi network name and password if you reset it)

We're on Vodafone too, ours went down yesterday at about 1:15pm and was down for about 3 hours.

Managed to get on the live chat, but they were just reading off a script, no real help.

Seriously considering getting a new router, but I think it was an Internet issue rather than a router issue.

The reset finally worked this morning (pressing a paperclip into the reset hole)

Can any router be purchased and connected, to replace the standard one supplied by your provider?

I may be wrong here, @WarPig, but I don't think Vodafone allow you to use any other than their supplied modem/router - they certainly didn't when they started. Most good ISPs don't lock you to their equipment, although it is always useful to have one they supplied for diagnostic purposes.

50 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

You can, but it has to be "approved by Openreach", not sure what that means to be honest.

https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Broadband-home-phone/Set-up-getting-started/1464003752/Can-I-use-my-own-router-with-Vodafone-broadband.htm

I don't know what that means, either - and there's no link to an 'OpenReach approved' list either, typically. I would think though that any modem/router by major manufacturers - Tp-link, Draytek, Netgear (and others) would be OK.

On 07/01/2021 at 20:08, WarPig said:

Vodafone are known to be terrible when it come to their service so first have a look on their forum page to see if its just Sheffield or more widespread.

19 hours ago, WarPig said:

Can any router be purchased and connected, to replace the standard one supplied by your provider?

If pressed Vodafone will give you your password and details to allow you to connect to any router but they don't like you doing that as they can't spy on you.