Commuting From Chesterfield To Ecclesall Rd, Sheffield

12 minutes ago, DavidFrance said:

Because Chesterfield is actually a great place to live. Pre Covid we had a multiplicity of pubs and restaurants, much like the City, but with the advantage of an attractive town centre filled with diverse shops, may of whom were independents, a brilliant market most days of the week, lots of place to walk and cycle, some great new housing developments and the Peak District right on the doorstep....and the dual carriageway from Meadowhead to the M1 means you can get anywhere else fast and easy.   My house six years ago cost £50k less than an identical house over the hill in Sheffield 8.  Well worth a commute!  (I have a relative who needs to go to London from time to time. You'd be amazed what a difference it makes getting a train from Chesterfield, shaving 30 mins off the journey home. ) (And parking in town is far cheaper...plus Chesterfield council tax payers get free parking up to 10am and after 3pm and there are many streets in the town centre with free limited 2 or 3 hour parking). Try it!

But a commute from Chesterfield to Eccleshall Road is still miserable, regardless of how awesome Chesterfield is. Even though the market is dead apart from Thursdays.

And why are you driving up to meadowhead when Chesterfield has 29, 29a and 30 to get onto the M1 ? Are you new to the area?

On 16/01/2021 at 22:00, Longcol said:

Like I said. walking from the University tram stop  to Ecclesall Road would usually expose you to a fair amount of car fumes - and not aware of a regular bus that goes that way.

Svc 6 (Powells).

https://moovitapp.com/index/en-gb/public_transportation-line-6-Yorkshire-2109-1801030-27263937-0

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, DavidFrance said:

Because Chesterfield is actually a great place to live. Pre Covid we had a multiplicity of pubs and restaurants, much like the City, but with the advantage of an attractive town centre filled with diverse shops, may of whom were independents, a brilliant market most days of the week, lots of place to walk and cycle, some great new housing developments and the Peak District right on the doorstep....and the dual carriageway from Meadowhead to the M1 means you can get anywhere else fast and easy.   My house six years ago cost £50k less than an identical house over the hill in Sheffield 8.  Well worth a commute!  (I have a relative who needs to go to London from time to time. You'd be amazed what a difference it makes getting a train from Chesterfield, shaving 30 mins off the journey home. ) (And parking in town is far cheaper...plus Chesterfield council tax payers get free parking up to 10am and after 3pm and there are many streets in the town centre with free limited 2 or 3 hour parking). Try it!

I totally get why you would choose to live in Chesterfield. It the other end of the commute that leaves me confused. Unless you are getting something like £50 per hour to compensate

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

But a commute from Chesterfield to Eccleshall Road is still miserable, regardless of how awesome Chesterfield is. Even though the market is dead apart from Thursdays.

And why are you driving up to meadowhead when Chesterfield has 29, 29a and 30 to get onto the M1 ? Are you new to the area?

The commute is not so miserable if you dont look too far ahead. I just wonder what the attraction is to make a person drive all that way with Sheffield as a destination.

Have you ever been to Chesterfield? To get to any of those junctions requires travellng about 5 miles away from Sheffield then You have to use either the free flowing parkway or any of the other similar rat runs. I would definitely go with Meadowhead and save a shedload of time if I HAD to make the journey. Personally I would sooner work at McDonalds in Chesterfield than a better paid job in Sheffield, but thats me.

49 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Depends on where on Ecclesall Road you want to go, I dont think that has been established yet. Also, remember this is run by Powells so may not be too reliable, certainly most of their others arent.

44 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

The commute is not so miserable if you dont look too far ahead. I just wonder what the attraction is to make a person drive all that way with Sheffield as a destination.

Have you ever been to Chesterfield? To get to any of those junctions requires travellng about 5 miles away from Sheffield then You have to use either the free flowing parkway or any of the other similar rat runs. I would definitely go with Meadowhead and save a shedload of time if I HAD to make the journey. Personally I would sooner work at McDonalds in Chesterfield than a better paid job in Sheffield, but thats me.

Depends on where on Ecclesall Road you want to go, I dont think that has been established yet. Also, remember this is run by Powells so may not be too reliable, certainly most of their others arent.

I lived in Chesterfield for 20 years. My mum still lives there. If I needed to get to the M1 from chesterfield, I never went to Sheffield first.  Maybe I misread the post or I'm missing a trick somewhere.

The point still stands, getting to Eccleshall Road from Chesterfield at rush hour, and presumably back in rush hour, sounds grim.

To clarify....the A61 dual carriageway gives you a convenient route in either direction, to Sheffield OR the M1.   As regards the commute, I can tell you that having commuted daily from 1. Grantham to Kings Cross and 2 Basingstoke to Waterloo, a commute from Chesterfield to Ecclesall Road would be a piece of cake.  And the X17 Stagecoach bus is luxurious compared with other services.   But anyway, if I HAVE to drive into the City I go Dronfield top/Jordanthorpe Parkway, Norton Water Tower, Blackstock Rd, Heeley Green, Richards Rd,  Bramall Lane. 20 minutes.  

1 hour ago, DavidFrance said:

To clarify....the A61 dual carriageway gives you a convenient route in either direction, to Sheffield OR the M1.   As regards the commute, I can tell you that having commuted daily from 1. Grantham to Kings Cross and 2 Basingstoke to Waterloo, a commute from Chesterfield to Ecclesall Road would be a piece of cake.  And the X17 Stagecoach bus is luxurious compared with other services.   But anyway, if I HAVE to drive into the City I go Dronfield top/Jordanthorpe Parkway, Norton Water Tower, Blackstock Rd, Heeley Green, Richards Rd,  Bramall Lane. 20 minutes.  

Not sure whereabouts in Chesterfield youre starting from but if you can do that route in rush hour in 20 minutes without driving on pavements I doff my cap.

4 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

I totally get why you would choose to live in Chesterfield. It the other end of the commute that leaves me confused. Unless you are getting something like £50 per hour to compensate

Had to smile at your comment!

When I was a Sheffield resident, I used to use the Parkway/M1/M18/A1 to get to work at Clifton Moor in York every day. The A1 was definitely not the road to daydream on, although there were certain days when I got to work but then thought "God! I don't remember passing the pub with the elephant models outside this morning!"

Even that pales to when I didn't have a car, and had to get a really early train from Sheff to Doncaster, and then catch the connection to Peterborough every day! I know the earliest I could get to work was about 9.30, but even that meant setting off at a ridiculous hour.....

If only I'd been on £50 an hour! I think my salary was about 6 grand a year!

5 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Looks like once every 40 minutes from town to Ecclesall Road.

https://bustimes.org/services/6-database-refresh

Unless you get your bus from Deepcar and tram from Middlewood to the University timings pretty much spot on you could spend a long time waiting on Glossop Road. Not something I'd trust for a daily commute.