Commuting From Chesterfield To Ecclesall Rd, Sheffield

Brimington to WhittMoor roundabout. Plenty of nearby free parking. X17 stagecoach express bus (uses bus lanes through Woodseats) luxurious seating. Listen to headphones.  relax.  Usually 20 to 30 mins max.  Off bus at Decathlon, walk briskly up Ecclesall Rd, staying healthy and no parking probs.  Simples. 

7 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Deepcar's advantage is that you could drive (or take a bus) to the Supertram terminus (Middlewood) then go through that way to the University of Sheffield area from which Ecclesall Road is a shortish walk: depends how far up ER you need to be,

More than a "shortish walk" and the air pollution is terrible at rush hour.

From Chesterfield ;

Out via Barlow and Holmesfield, then Mickley, Bradway Road, Twentywell Lane to Abbeydale Road - then Abbey Lane to Ecclesall Road.

Edited by Longcol

On 13/01/2021 at 00:07, Longcol said:

From Chesterfield ;

Out via Barlow and Holmesfield, then Mickley, Bradway Road, Twentywell Lane to Abbeydale Road - then Abbey Lane to Ecclesall Road.

So take a bus/walk and don't contribute to air pollution.

On 13/01/2021 at 00:07, Longcol said:

From Chesterfield ;

Why not go the whole hog...continue up the narrow and dangerous road through Barlow (that's after you've got through the Sheepbridge trading estate traffic) to Owler Bar, then to Longshaw, down to Hathersage and then up over Stanage, down Ringinglow Road and to wherever you like in Ecclesall Rd. By the time you arrive the traffic peak will have passed and you'll have had a beautiful scenic experience. 

If coming in from Chesterfield, why not simply catch the train in to Midland Station, walk up to Arundel Gate via Howard St then take an 81, 82, 83 to Ecclesall Rd. 

Even with the cost of a train ticket, it would probably work out cheaper than running a car everyday & would be a lot quicker at peak times. 

On 15/01/2021 at 09:35, Bargepole23 said:

So take a bus/walk and don't contribute to air pollution.

Like I said. walking from the University tram stop  to Ecclesall Road would usually expose you to a fair amount of car fumes - and not aware of a regular bus that goes that way.

On 16/01/2021 at 22:00, Longcol said:

Like I said. walking from the University tram stop  to Ecclesall Road would usually expose you to a fair amount of car fumes - and not aware of a regular bus that goes that way.

Would it expose you to any more than sitting in a car?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/in-car-pollution-equivalent-to-passively-smoking/&ved=2ahUKEwjx08m1_6PuAhUUT8AKHYkKAO4QFjAlegQIIRAB&usg=AOvVaw0Xa_NpCxPAjpyJmdJ1CGz8

Seems like sitting in a car is not very healthy at all. 

Edited by Bargepole23

Guest busdriver1
On 16/01/2021 at 22:00, Longcol said:

Why on earth would anybody walk from the university tram stop to Ecclesal Road?  Surely either a shorter walk from the city would be better or even better again is get a bus from the city, I believe they still run fairly close to the city - for now.

8 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Why on earth would anybody walk from the university tram stop to Ecclesal Road?  Surely either a shorter walk from the city would be better or even better again is get a bus from the city, I believe they still run fairly close to the city - for now.

I've done it several times.  It's the most straightforward way for me to get from Hillsborough to Eccy Road without having to go all the way into town to come out again, trying to co-ordinate between a tram and a bus.  By the time you've gone into town on the tram from UoS and got to the right bus stop and waited for a bus, and travelled out on said bus, you could have walked down to Eccy Road from UoS.

This wasn't for work, by the way, if that makes any difference...

Thanks to the traffic calming measures, there's very little exposure to car pollution if you walk down Brunswick Street and through Sunnybank or down Collegiate Crescent, a walk of less than a mile.

Guest busdriver1
On 18/01/2021 at 19:08, Becky B said:

I've done it several times.  It's the most straightforward way for me to get from Hillsborough to Eccy Road without having to go all the way into town to come out again, trying to co-ordinate between a tram and a bus.  By the time you've gone into town on the tram from UoS and got to the right bus stop and waited for a bus, and travelled out on said bus, you could have walked down to Eccy Road from UoS.

This wasn't for work, by the way, if that makes any difference...

I was actually commenting on the ops point of commuting from chesterfield. 

Why anyone would want to do that escapes me though. 

18 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

I was actually commenting on the ops point of commuting from chesterfield. 

Why anyone would want to do that escapes me though. 

Because Chesterfield is actually a great place to live. Pre Covid we had a multiplicity of pubs and restaurants, much like the City, but with the advantage of an attractive town centre filled with diverse shops, may of whom were independents, a brilliant market most days of the week, lots of place to walk and cycle, some great new housing developments and the Peak District right on the doorstep....and the dual carriageway from Meadowhead to the M1 means you can get anywhere else fast and easy.   My house six years ago cost £50k less than an identical house over the hill in Sheffield 8.  Well worth a commute!  (I have a relative who needs to go to London from time to time. You'd be amazed what a difference it makes getting a train from Chesterfield, shaving 30 mins off the journey home. ) (And parking in town is far cheaper...plus Chesterfield council tax payers get free parking up to 10am and after 3pm and there are many streets in the town centre with free limited 2 or 3 hour parking). Try it!

Edited by DavidFrance
additional info