Commuting From Chesterfield To Ecclesall Rd, Sheffield

Can anyone advise me how long on a normal non lockdown, normal busy day, how long it would take to drive from Chesterfield to ecclesall Rd for 9 am. And the best route to take. 

Im looking at buying a property around the Brimington area. 

If not Chesterfield then maybe High Green, Or maybe even Deep Car. 

Thanks Tracy 

Hour -  maybe - if you've somewhere to park on Ecclesall Road.

Don't know about HG or Deepcar.

30 minutes ago, yyy said:

You could spend 20 minutes just getting up to Norton roundabout from the end of the Dronfield bypass!

It's also going to matter where on Ecclesall Road you need to be. From memory Banner Cross to Waitrose can be a frustrating drive.

Best route

Dronfield by pass to Meadowhead roundabout. First left and then first right (Greenhill Avenue ?).

Roundabout at Bocking Lane / Abbey Lane take first left. 

Down to Beauchief lights and straight across. (Ecclesall Woods on either side.)

Take second right (I think). Past Rising Sun pub. 

Up to traffic lights.

Turn right on to Ecclesall road South. 

Time will all depend on time of the day.  

5 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

You could spend 20 minutes just getting up to Norton roundabout from the end of the Dronfield bypass!

True! I wouldn’t fancy that commute much. I did a similar commute but in reverse in the past. Which I thought would be doddle but during school term time was very very slow progress in the approach to Meadowhead roundabout.

that would be about an hour of stop-start traffic.

have you thought about buying a property near Ecclesall Road? 

Edited by ads36

On 07/01/2021 at 14:02, tracyw said:

Can anyone advise me how long on a normal non lockdown, normal busy day, how long it would take to drive from Chesterfield to ecclesall Rd for 9 am. And the best route to take. 

Thanks Tracy 

Just so you know, that will be a dreadful, grinding journey if a daily commute. I would estimate an hour each way.  I've done similar length commutes in the past, and its such a breath of fresh air when you change jobs and your commute is much less. Until you stop, you don't realise what you have been tolerating.

Edited by Bargepole23

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Just so you know, that will be a dreadful, grinding journey if a daily commute. I would estimate an hour each way.  I've done similar length commutes in the past, and its such a breath of fresh air when you change jobs and your commute is much less. Until you stop, you don't realise what you have been tolerating.

I agree about that particular journey being dreadful but I don't think it's the time more the type of journey which causes it to be a grind. I used to commute to Rotherham and Leeds which were awful but I then started work in Halifax and the commute was a delight. I live in Stannington and except for the last 15 minutes between Huddersfield & Halifax it was quite a relaxing commute.

Similarly, I commuted to Manchester by train and, despite not often having a seat, being able to read 2 or 3 books a week was a refreshing change from the Parkway.

One of the problems is that you state 9.00 am....  Is this your start time or planned arrival time?   It can be a hassle, but if you plan to get to Eccy Road by 8.00am it can be done in half an hour. 

A61 to Meadowhead roundabout, straight across, down to Woodseats,  tuun left on to Woodseats Road, turn right at the bottom before the railway bridge  - Little London Road - left at the first set of lights, then straight on at the next set, up to Nether Edge and continue  up to Kingfield Road, across Psalter Lane and down to Hunters Bar roundabout. 

Any later than 8.00 and you are doomed....

On 07/01/2021 at 14:02, tracyw said:

Thanks Tracy 

Deepcar's advantage is that you could drive (or take a bus) to the Supertram terminus (Middlewood) then go through that way to the University of Sheffield area from which Ecclesall Road is a shortish walk: depends how far up ER you need to be,