Jump to content RIP Sheffield Admin Mort

Screws & Nuts Where To Buy Small Amount?

Posted (edited)
On 07/01/2021 at 22:49, glitterballs said:

1 size and normal threads, 10mm long and 3mm diameter captive washer can be separate.

RKO6XCL.jpg

Can you not just use set screws that are 10mm long  x m3, and use m3 nylocks?  

Edited by Janus
Typo

Hi

I could for 6 of them but some of them will just be the screws going into threads that are part of the device.

24 is a lot of bolts to be "missing".

Has somebody had a go at repairing whatever-it-is before, and given up?

Just depends how far you want to take it. It might be possible run an M3.5 (rather hard to obtain) or even M4 plug tap through the fixed threads so allowing standard screws, but only yourself would know whether this is feasible due to the available depth through the threads and the nature of the equipment.

Model suppliers might be an idea although getting the black finish is problematic, but plenty of standard types on ebay.

https://modelfixings.co.uk/machine_screws.htm

Glitterballs,

What are you repairing and is it necessary from an aesthetic point of view that you replace like with like ?

If not, couldn’t you put any old bolts in to fix the item? 

12 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

24 is a lot of bolts to be "missing".

Has somebody had a go at repairing whatever-it-is before, and given up?

It’s for 2 machines and yes 😀

4 hours ago, Mossway said:

Glitterballs,

What are you repairing and is it necessary from an aesthetic point of view that you replace like with like ?

If not, couldn’t you put any old bolts in to fix the item? 

2 old and rare drum machines, I could use any old bolts/screws but they’d need to be black.

Going to try Shaws tomorrow and take it from there. I’ve found most places won’t sell small amounts even if I send one for sizing.

Having put so much effort into rebuilding them especially the power supplies, I may as well go all out finding the right fixings.

Have you looked on ebay, there may  be an American seller on there.

9 hours ago, glitterballs said:

It’s for 2 machines and yes 😀

2 old and rare drum machines, I could use any old bolts/screws but they’d need to be black.

Going to try Shaws tomorrow and take it from there. I’ve found most places won’t sell small amounts even if I send one for sizing.

Having put so much effort into rebuilding them especially the power supplies, I may as well go all out finding the right fixings.

From the time and  cost perspective, would it make economical sense to buy a large quantity, providing you get exactly what your want?

1 hour ago, Janus said:

From the time and  cost perspective, would it make economical sense to buy a large quantity, providing you get exactly what your want?

Probably, will investigate further tomorrow, don't mind 100 laying around.

Thanks

In old money they look like #6-32 UNC x 3/8" long. There are some stainless ones on the bay, cant see jappaned or black anodized though. To confirm he major thread diameter would be 3.505mm. There looks to be about 12 threads on the picture for 3/8 long , Therefor would be 32TPI.

Probably been thousands of these slung into the scrap over the past 30 years or so!

Your probably nearer the mark with 3.5mm diameter UNC thread as the unit is made in USA, although some of their more modern equipment possibly used Japanese parts and screws. Also appears to be a crosspoint head, probably Phillips.

The 3mm diameter would have been 40TPI which is too fine to match the photo.