Network Printer Problem.

Since I dual booted Linux Mint on my Windows computer I cannot get my wife's desktop  to print via the network when I am on Linux. It works fine when I am on Windows. I can print from Linux via my P.C. I have clicked all the share buttons but nothing works. Any help would be great. 

It does sound like the share isn't set up on Linux... 
I know you said you tried to share it, but maybe something wasn't done quite right etc...
and usually after creating a new share, you would need to add them as a new shared device on the other computer(s)... so they would effectively have one shared printer for when you were on Windows, and one for Linux

What printer is it? Can it not connect directly to the network?

It can connect to my wife's P.C. and mine when I am on windows but it will not connect to my wife's when I am on Linux. I have just added a new network printer to my Linux and I will try it out when my wife has finished on her P.C.

Yeah, you have to go to your wifes computer, add a new printer, and add via the network share.. Just like you did when setting up the Windows one originally...

it 'should' work the same, provided Linux is set up properly.... depending on your distro i'm sure there's plenty of documentation online :)

Does the printer connect to the WiFi or use an Ethernet cable. Or is it USB to your PC?

Did you share the printer via Windows, and your wife connected to the shared printer?

Make/model of the printer will help. If it's wireless and/or ethernet, there's no need for her to go via your PC to connect. She can just connect directly to the printer.

I have a very cheap Canon wireless printer. It's setup on the network with its own IP address. From each PC (Windows. macOS and Linux) I connect direct to the printer. No PC has printer sharing as there's no need for it. If we know what printer you have, it may just be a case of showing you a better way to set things up.

The printer is connected to my P.C. with a U.S.B.

Yes the printer is shared via windows and it is still working O.K. through windows.

It is a Canon ip 4850 non wireless.

Everything works fine until I go onto Linux.

Would it help If I used the installation disc to load it on Linux.

But at the moment my printer is showing up on Linux. Confusing but that is me probably.

I can print from Linux on my P.C. with no problem.

Edited by Kidorry
Added text.

22 hours ago, Kidorry said:

The printer is connected to my P.C. with a U.S.B.

Yes the printer is shared via windows and it is still working O.K. through windows.

It is a Canon ip 4850 non wireless.

Everything works fine until I go onto Linux.

Would it help If I used the installation disc to load it on Linux.

But at the moment my printer is showing up on Linux. Confusing but that is me probably.

I can print from Linux on my P.C. with no problem.

As above. While on Linux try and add the printer to the other PC. Although it's the same print device, it's not the same OS. If it works and your wife wants to print, she'll have to ask you which OS you're on and select the right printer.

I know throwing money at a problem isn't always the answer but I'd invest in a Wifi/network enabled All in One. The printer would then be an independant device on the network, no need to leave a PC on, no need to create printer shares and the OS can just connect direct. It will save a lot of time and problems. (IMO)

I think mine is a Canon MG 3650 and cost about £50. Not the best but for my needs, it does the job well. That model will probably be out of date now. The only downside I found on mine is that doesn't have a display so you have to config the WiFi via USB, then it just sits in another room waiting for jobs. It sleeps after 15 minutes so I never unplug it. Tested on Windows, macOS and Linux...all connect and work without issues.

Cheers Zach. I was thinking along the same lines as you about buying a new wireless printer, which I think I will do. After the ink I have just bought runs out. Thanks everyone for all your help.

21 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

Cheers Zach. I was thinking along the same lines as you about buying a new wireless printer, which I think I will do. After the ink I have just bought runs out. Thanks everyone for all your help.

No problem, I think it will be a good move. You should get an AIO for decent money (printer, scanner, copier) I didn't think I'd use the scanner or copier but the network scanner gets used more than the printing or copy.

Running your ink down should give you chance to look at some reviews and prices, don't forget to factor in the cost of ink.