2021 Boiler/Heating Megathread, Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs Or Advertising

nikki-red

As we are now into a new year, and a lot of posts in the old  thread will no longer be relevant, this is the new Boiler & Heating megathread.

You can still browse through the old thread here...

Message added by nikki-red

Can anyone recommend a gas engineer to do a boiler service 

Edited by nikki-red

If you only put one central heating radiator on in your property, would that reduce your bill, compared to if you had all your radiators on? 

Surely if the water is running through your pipes at a certain temperature, why should it cost more to have the other radiators on? 

Thank you for your clear and concise answer. 😊

Hi,

Our boiler is due for its annual service and we would like recommendations for a reliable plumber S8 area.

Thanks

On 04/01/2021 at 10:06, poppet2 said:

If you only put one central heating radiator on in your property, would that reduce your bill, compared to if you had all your radiators on? 

Surely if the water is running through your pipes at a certain temperature, why should it cost more to have the other radiators on? 

Each Radiator on the system has a KW output 

i.e. a 600 x 600 double for example is  1Kw so it will need one Kw of power from the boiler. 

So if you had 6 of those you'd be using 6KW

You'd also get some heat loss across the pipework

The other thing to factor in is wether you have an old boiler which wont modulate down to what you need it will just get  hot very quite fast on a small sytem and just switch on and off and be quite un efficient. 

If you have a new Condensing type boiler with a pre mix burner it will modulate down to the required heat but they usually have a minimum heat input usally around 6-12 Kw 

Having trouble with combi boiler. The hot water light is permanently on and the heating will not come on. Anyone got any advice or can recommend a registered gas engineer. 

Thanks in advance. 

The other day water started pouring out of the bottom of our boiler. I looked on the forum, and contacted Sam Lovatt who was the most consistently recommended plumber. He was charming on the phone but couldn't help as he isn't gas-safe registered so I asked whom he would recommend in Sheffield. Following his advice I rang Met Gas Services on 0114 404 0001 who came exactly on time just a day later. The man who came was brilliant, quickly diagnosed the fault and, after quickly collecting parts, fitted the new components. It now works perfectly again. The service was quick, efficient, courteous and financially very reasonable. I would wholeheartedly recommend them, and intend to have them back myself to refit our bathroom once the covid crisis is over.

I'm trying to find someone to do a gas safety certificate which will involve checking a living flame gas fire (and any repairs if necessary). It's been virtually impossible...can anyone help please? I'm selling my house and really need a gas safety certificate.