Tommy Docherty Dies Aged 92

Remember the semi at Hillsborough against Derby - 1976? - Man Utd side built for attacking footballl with Coppel and Hill on the wings, Pearson and Greenhoff down the middle.

The Doc turned Man Utd around and Fergie reaped the rewards.

Strange to me that he has been referred to in all the news programmes as the ex-Manchester United manager and yet to me I think of his time at Chelsea rather than Man Utd.

He built an exciting team at Stamford Bridge. 

RIP. 

Some years ago, when manager of Liverpool, Bill Shankly was on the lookout for a centre forward.

He phoned his friend Docherty. "Doc, what do you think of the boy (Martin) Chivers?" 

Docherty: "He's slower than he looks...."

RIP, Doc, you were a diamond.

6 hours ago, abbeyedges said:

Strange to me that he has been referred to in all the news programmes as the ex-Manchester United manager and yet to me I think of his time at Chelsea rather than Man Utd.

He built an exciting team at Stamford Bridge. 

RIP. 

Yes he did, and by date co-incidence, 54 years ago yesterday-Dec 31st 1966- the Owls whacked Tommy's Chelsea 6-1 at Hillsborough (I think John Ritchie got two) but for me the best goal of the seven was a screamer from Chelsea's Bobby Tambling at the Kop end, one of the best goals I've seen there from an opposition player...RIP Tommy.

RIP. I was talking to a Rotherham United fan at work today and didn’t know he’d managed the Millers in the late sixties.  He arrived at Millmoor saying he would get Rotherham out of the second division, he took them into the third. The Rotherham chairman told Docherty, “well Tommy you are a man of your word”.