Sign in to follow this  

New Video Card Advice

I also lost around 1.13 BTC that I got paid out... it's sat on a HDD with a dead controller board.. :(

I also lost around 300+ in a large hack on an exchange years ago... got a screenshot of that also :(

Is it not possible to replace the controller board, or transplant the platters or internals of the HDD to a working HDD? Must be worth investigating your options, what with 1.13 btc at stake!

Bummer about the 300 lost in an exchange. Which exchange was is?

Anyhow, apologies to OP, I find myself going off-topic, and there’s already a crypto thread somewhere..

Edited by Waldo

16 hours ago, Waldo said:

Ouch! Did you now write down your recovery phrase anywhere? Still, at least you're not the guy who bought pizza with 20,000 of them! I think they peaked a little over £25k in the last week?

I used to use Multibit HD, then that s/w was retired and I moved to Electrum. I have my wallet words, but no idea what I am supposed to do with them. I also have a backup of a folder containing some files ending in .zip.aes, but again no idea what to do with them.

13 minutes ago, andysm said:

I used to use Multibit HD, then that s/w was retired and I moved to Electrum. I have my wallet words, but no idea what I am supposed to do with them. I also have a backup of a folder containing some files ending in .zip.aes, but again no idea what to do with them.

Well I just tried to restore the wallet again, I have tried in the past but it never worked. It seems I was using the wrong derivation path (?) tried again with a different path and it worked, so I have my 99.9 mBTC back! Thanks.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsdeObsKGlfrgchzzp8FBG4HNETA0A

17 minutes ago, andysm said:

Well I just tried to restore the wallet again, I have tried in the past but it never worked. It seems I was using the wrong derivation path (?) tried again with a different path and it worked, so I have my 99.9 mBTC back! Thanks.

Congrats!

Yep, all you need is the recovery (12 or 24 etc) words. You can then create a new wallet and restore using the words. The words represent your private key. Do not share, if anyone ever finds them, they can move your assets to their own wallet etc,

4 hours ago, Waldo said:

Is it not possible to replace the controller board, or transplant the platters or internals of the HDD to a working HDD? Must be worth investigating your options, what with 1.13 btc at stake!

Bummer about the 300 lost in an exchange. Which exchange was is?

Anyhow, apologies to OP, I find myself going off-topic, and there’s already a crypto thread somewhere..

Have tried, need to find an exact date match for the manu'f date... have 4 other boards I tried, and none worked... couldn't honestly even say which is the original one now either :(

It was way at the start of it all, before I knew how it all worked - so my key phrases are also saved on the same drive (different location)

:(

3 hours ago, andysm said:

if you do indeed have 99.9 BTC, then that makes you a millionaire, around 3.5mil USD

10 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

Have tried, need to find an exact date match for the manu'f date... have 4 other boards I tried, and none worked... couldn't honestly even say which is the original one now either :(

It was way at the start of it all, before I knew how it all worked - so my key phrases are also saved on the same drive (different location)

:(

if you do indeed have 99.9 BTC, then that makes you a millionaire, around 3.5mil USD

Wonder if it's possible to get some outside help, get the drive forensically imaged or something?

Yeah, I wondered that too! But he did mention he had 0.1 BTC earlier in the thread, and he says 99.9 mBTC, so assume it's m as in milli (1000th) BTC.

Nice find still, even 0.1 BTC is £2,500. If he wants to cash out, maybe Coinbase isn't a bad option.

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Wonder if it's possible to get some outside help, get the drive forensically imaged or something?

Yeah, I wondered that too! But he did mention he had 0.1 BTC earlier in the thread, and he says 99.9 mBTC, so assume it's m as in milli (1000th) BTC.

Nice find still, even 0.1 BTC is £2,500. If he wants to cash out, maybe Coinbase isn't a bad option.

I have thought about it, but it would cost like £600+ for professional data recovery, and it's not as likely they can or will do anything without the controller board too...

Yes, mBTC is milli-Bitcoin.

On 06/01/2021 at 10:41, andysm said:

You can use that list of words + your passphrase to reconsitute your bitcoin wallet on a new device and clean install of the app.