Property Survey.

Had a survey done on a property we were interested in buying. The survey came back saying there was ASBESTOS and DAMP present. We got a quote from a two builders and the cheapest quote was just under £10,000 so we pulled out telling the reasons to the estate agent . What i would like to know is will the estate agent tell any future buyers about  the asbestos and damp.    Thanks

Edited by Pkingy
spelling mistake

We literally just had the same experience and I have come the conclusion they will do no such thing.

We did a survey on a property and it came back with 12 major issues, including roof and chimney needing fixing, damp coming in from the top and from underneath the cellar (this had penetrated through to the lounge and kitchen areas), asbestos, a structural problem in the cellar and the bay window having moved (another serious structural problem).

12 major issues in red, i.e. this needs to be fixed before you exchange contracts. We decided to pull out. The estate agent phoned my partner and tried to bully her into not pulling out and said he "sees surveys like that all the time they just do it to cover their backs, it's fine". She said no and he proceeded to say "you're going to back out just because of some flashing"? and that we shouldn't look at "older houses". Disgusting. This is far beyond just flashing and he knows it. Old houses can still be maintained, no?

Our builder said the roof/chimney alone will cost 10k and he wouldn't buy it. So god knows how much the rest would total to.

The property has been re-listed and they even have the gaul to say that the property is in immaculate condition.

We began to suspect that maybe the owner didn't do one when they bought it (only a year before, the same estate agent told us he had), but all sympathy went out the window when they haven't changed the price and put that hilarious description in there. 

I fear that they just hope and wait for someone who is foolish enough not to get or can't afford a proper survey.

Just like the rat who tried to bully my partner and when not getting anywhere, just shouted at her, he just wants to get paid and doesn't care that he's selling snake oil.

best £300 we've spent, considering.

Edited by goose86

Remember that an Estate Agent is not a 'middleman' but the vendor's agent. EA's job is to find a purchaser.

So EA need not disclose anything adverse unless:

a. the prospective purchaser asks a specific question about it; or

b. there is legislation that requires EA to disclose.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

On 31/12/2020 at 12:51, Pkingy said:

Had a survey done on a property we were interested in buying. The survey came back saying there was ASBESTOS and DAMP present. We got a quote from a two builders and the cheapest quote was just under £10,000 so we pulled out telling the reasons to the estate agent . What i would like to know is will the estate agent tell any future buyers about  the asbestos and damp.    Thanks

I doubt it. I don't think they have any obligation to tell you anything and obviously they want to sell it. They will be waiting for a mug to come along...

Edited by nightrider

On 04/02/2021 at 14:52, nightrider said:

I doubt it. I don't think they have any obligation to tell you anything and obviously they want to sell it. They will be waiting for a mug to come along...

Well one has come along its under offer.

I've had a similar thing in the best.

Managed to negotiate with the agent/vendor on price