Modern Internet Software

I know the government (of whatever persuasion) is horrendously  out of touch with real life, but this little gem, discovered by someone on another forum I frequent, deserves a wider audience:

On page 921 of 1246 pages of the Brexit document it says:-

...s/MIME functionality is built into the vast majority of modern e-mail software packages including Outlook, Mozilla Mail as well as Netscape Communicator 4.x and inter-operates among all major e-mail software packages...

It also says that "... the hash algorithm SHA-1 shall be applied"

Obviously they are a little bit out of touch.

Anyone else think they still live in the 1980's - or even earlier? 🤣

It's a bit of an embarrassing slip but I think it's been completely blown out of proportion and will no doubt be used to death by some as another stick to beat the government with.

The actual fact is that whilst Netscape is no longer in common use its original foundings and transfer into modern dat Mozilla open source software is still widely available and used.   Netscape is still actively registered as a company under the Facebook conglomerate it's hard the greatest faux par in the world

For those of us out there who are regularly using either Firefox browsers or Thunderbird email client software it's all the same thing just a different evolution of it.

Given that some of the government computer systems are quite archaic and prone to heavy use of legacy software it would not surprise me if Netscape communicator is still not been used within some civil service platforms.

Edited by ECCOnoob

I think it highlights more than what the specific paragraph is related to. It shows an apparent lack of relevant or current detail, meaning its been copied or duplicated from an alternative, clearly outdated document, and that no-one with any relate knowledge has proof read the agreement. Ok, we lack context here, but this is a legal representation of our agreements with the European union. If this one paragraph is completely outdated, and most likely irrelevant,  what could that mean for a lot of the more other important policies? 

its a concern whichever way you look at it and has clearly been rushed through for Boris to get a check in the box. I mean, they have only had 4 years...

Fair enough, @ECCOnoob I wasn't posting it for anyone to 'beat the government' with, merely to point out that, irrespective of which party is in power, they seem to be way behind the curve whenever technology is involved.

I am a Firefox/Thunderbird user - have been almost from their inception to the current formats, and am aware of their history.

If they are still using such as Netscape, it's about time they considered upgrading - and don't tell me it can't be done  -it can, but no doubt they can't be bothered. Bit strange, honestly, considering the potential security risks.

Edit to add: Exactly, @Happ

Edited by RollingJ
Added comment.

You also have to look at it another way, maybe they were under so much pressure to get it done, and fast that much was copy/pasted from old(er) agreements.... we don't know if they added some form of proviso about revisions or updates etc to be able to correct this sort of thing...

It will be interesting to see what comes of this (if anything) or what changes are made (if any) etc...

@Ghozer - I'm sorry, but I think you are being too charitable - when document of this importance contains such ancient and wrong data - which I agree could have been C&P'd  - without checking its veracity or relevance in one tiny section, you begin to wonder how many more howlers are in there - enough to render it invalid?

Nothing will come of it, and no changes will be made, because those who draft such documents are never wrong - even if their errors/omissions are pointed out to them.

You also have to think, the person typing up the 300+ page document, probably didn't have time to sit and check and proof read, then fix then get approval from the lawyers that nothing could be taken the wrong way, then change it if something wasn't right, and go through the whole process again..

Then there's also the fact that it's likely that nobody involved in the creation/draft or approval of the document, is technically minded in any way what so ever..

It's like, you try and create a 300+ page legally binding document, that covers all the points required, in just a few days, with changes constantly happening as discussion is taking place...

I think that generally, people are often too harsh with details on things, and don't look at the picture as a whole....

Edited by Ghozer

Well, lets just hope that no-one reads the bits that really matter - this bit doesn't really - and find glaring errors that render the entire thing invalid. That really would cause a poop-storm.

I'm sorry, but where legal documents are concerned, they should be drafted with extreme care.

Edited by RollingJ

Interesting link @BadgerBodge, but I still think they should update something as important, even if it means the individuals tasked with checking the data is up-to-date miss a few late lunches.