Looking For My Dad After 35 Years

Hi, I am looking for my dad who I believe was from Sheffield. He will be in his 50s now, name Daryl oldfield, could be spelt different. Dad may have been called Peter and was a painter and decorator. Mum was called Nancy or something similar. Any help would be very much appreciated! 

Please don’t give out anyone’s private or personal information without their prior knowledge and consent.

If you know the people in question make them aware of this thread.

Thank you

I wish you luck Gemma unfortunately I don’t think you will get it here.

Out of interest, has anybody ever found lost friend, associate or relative by using this forum?

I completely understand the usual warnings from the Moderators regarding personal information, but notice that, at times, the thread is closed straight after the advice is given (but not in this particular case.)

Bear in mind that most posters who are seeking info are new users, and therefore won't be able to satisfy the minimum five posts to permit personal messages either....so is there realistically any point in the forum's tagline of "search for old friends, family etc."?

We don’t close threads like these unless requested by the OPs and I can’t remember the last time that happened.

We have no way of knowing who people are, why they are looking for someone and more importantly if that someone wants to be found.

I wouldn’t want my details sharing without my knowledge, would you?

All we ask is that the person being looked for has a choice in the matter.

7 hours ago, Gemma27985 said:

Hi, I am looking for my dad who I believe was from Sheffield. He will be in his 50s now, name Daryl oldfield, could be spelt different. Dad may have been called Peter and was a painter and decorator. Mum was called Nancy or something similar. Any help would be very much appreciated! 

Hi Gemma.  A little bit of info to help you start a search. 

Go to :- FREE BMD UK   -  you can search there for Birth, Marriage, Death  at no charge. Ok Heartshome

19 hours ago, Gemma27985 said:

Have you tried putting those names up on Facebook ?

17 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Hi Gemma.  A little bit of info to help you start a search. 

Go to :- FREE BMD UK   -  you can search there for Birth, Marriage, Death  at no charge. Ok Heartshome

Not exactly a free service, they wanted a 17 pound 'donation' to access my information.

Edited by St Petre
Add

6 hours ago, St Petre said:

Not exactly a free service, they wanted a 17 pound 'donation' to access my information.

Hi St Petre, I don't know why they did that! For you to search, you just put in a name and choose B,M or D, then

an area and aprox dates , then press SEARCH . You have to keep trying different variations, but I usually get details 

come up that are very helpful. I've had some great results from it,  used it for ages.

I'm just thinking!  Did you asked them direct for help?  If so, that's why the charge.     Regards Heartshome.

On 29/12/2020 at 22:20, RiffRaff said:

Out of interest, has anybody ever found lost friend, associate or relative by using this forum? ...

I'm sure this has happened on a number of occasions. Here is one old thread I remember that had a happy ending:

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/145326-looking-for-my-roots/?tab=comments#comment-2621019

On 29/12/2020 at 22:20, RiffRaff said:

Out of interest, has anybody ever found lost friend, associate or relative by using this forum?

I completely understand the usual warnings from the Moderators regarding personal information, but notice that, at times, the thread is closed straight after the advice is given (but not in this particular case.)

Bear in mind that most posters who are seeking info are new users, and therefore won't be able to satisfy the minimum five posts to permit personal messages either....so is there realistically any point in the forum's tagline of "search for old friends, family etc."?

I found my sister on here. We had never met before but I knew she existed. I also found my brother who I had not seen since about 1960. Persistence pays off.

On 30/12/2020 at 23:33, Heartshome said:

Hi St Petre, I don't know why they did that! For you to search, you just put in a name and choose B,M or D, then

an area and aprox dates , then press SEARCH . You have to keep trying different variations, but I usually get details 

come up that are very helpful. I've had some great results from it,  used it for ages.

I'm just thinking!  Did you asked them direct for help?  If so, that's why the charge.     Regards Heartshome.

Hi, I had a quick look for you and couldn't spot a Daryl Oldfield born Sheffield - the nearest are Darren Oldfield:

Surname  First name(s)    District  Vol  Page 

Births Mar 1961   (>99%)
OLDFIELD  Darren G  KNIGHT  Sheffield  2d 260  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Births Jun 1967   (>99%)
Oldfield  Darren  Whittaker  Sheffield  2d 150  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Births Dec 1967   (>99%)
Oldfield  Darren  Nash  Sheffield  2d 135  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

The name in the middle is surname of mother.  I couldn't spot a likely marriage for his parents with the names you suggest but it is worth exploring - maybe expand to nearby towns in case he wasn't born in Sheffield (note that parts of Sheffield had different names in the past e.g. Ecclesall Bierlow and Wortley) or you could try a county.