Using Subwoofer From Integrated System With Hi-Fi, Etc

As above, just wondering if say i could use a Panasonic Kelton Sub from a 2.1 home cinema with my mission cryrus amp, using the auxiliary or other input, would i need a active sub, they seem hard to get cheap these days, 

They are expensive, good ones. I would check out, online, the proposed types before you buy.

At minimum the sub needs an internal crossover to pass the LF and block HF, although you can get separate external crossovers. The Panasonic system probably has both the Xover and LF amp built in to the main amp unit.

Have a look at this:  https://soundcertified.com/how-to-connect-a-subwoofer-to-an-old-amplifier/

Yes, you could use it..

But depends how you set up, and where the cross-over point on the Sub/Speakers are depends if it will be well matched! :)

2 hours ago, Ghozer said:

Yes, you could use it..

But depends how you set up, and where the cross-over point on the Sub/Speakers are depends if it will be well matched! :)

You seem to have missed the bit where this is a passive sub, its entirely driven from the integrated system so to use it on its own would need an amplifier of some sort.  I doubt its going to be very simple to achieve this.

Depends what kind of sound or fidelity that gamezone wants. The Cyrus amp is a good one so presumably the speakers that are being driven are decent quality. Effectively, the PO would be converting a 1 or 2 way speaker system into a 3-way system; even the makers often get this wrong, although a single sub can save space. It can be more cost effective to replace the existing speakers to ones with an established design that will give deeper and properly blended low frequencies.

I am really looking to just add a bit of extra timbre really, and at some point i will be selling the amp, i am far from a hi fi buff, but the cyrus

does still sound lovely, just needs that bit more

On 29/12/2020 at 18:29, AlexAtkin said:

You seem to have missed the bit where this is a passive sub, its entirely driven from the integrated system so to use it on its own would need an amplifier of some sort.  I doubt its going to be very simple to achieve this.

Ah yeah, fair enough.... I was doing a few things at once when I replied :D

Only thing I can say is look for a bargain on ebay for an active subwoofer with controls, then it's just a matter of plug in, adjust and play.

Very very few bargains, a decade ago, could have got a basic Gale for 30 quid, they are asking triple now

Another option, if you fancied a bit of DIY... Buy a monoblock sub amp, and fit it into the sub, turn it into a powered sub..

You can pick them up from between £25-100 depending on how much you want to spend and how good the sub is etc :)

even if you don't use it long term, it's a project to pass some time, and will give you an idea of what it would be like if you spent extra on a proper sub, should you decide to eventually go that route after :)