Winter 20/21 Weather Thread.

The UK has the most difficult weather to measure and forecast in the world.

The data collected and interpreted by the Met Office is the most detailed available in this country and is "sold" to users including Governments, local authorities, utilities, broadcasters,  media etc

The "price" of the information depends on level of detail, frequency of updates, format, level of interpretation etc. What most of us access on the media and radio is cheap and of poor quality .Any utility, transport undertaking, local authority etc has in place a set of responses to the information received takes a calculated risk on its response and mostly, but certainly not always get the response right.  Unfortunately Mrs Trellis on Station Street still doesn't get sunshine or her street cleared-and never will.

Most of us know that our location in Sheffield/South Yorkshire also has an impact on our "local" weather and some experienced local amateurs are very good at enhancing this information. We too add our own experiences.

Putting a weather station on top of a 51 bus would be enlightening as it would on a journey along the A57+Parkway-which when I commuted from Darnall on shifts was a very dangerous road for motorbikes in bad winter weather. Attercliffe was a safer option.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

snow coming down fast in greenhill/lowedges now

Edited by bassett one

Yup was in Walkley our streets near enough impossible without a 4x4..

Ski poles needed later no doubt

On 06/02/2021 at 10:20, bassett one said:

after no buses for several days ,the hospitals inundated with fractures ect,we are really poor at sorting out bad weather.

The buses are never off for days at a time. The first lot of bad snow they were off for the majority of the day, the second bad lot they were getting back on the road by dinnertime. The council do the best they can for a country that at worst might have 5 days in the year of really bad condition's. 

I'm in Walkley and need to get to Crosspool  tomorrow morning for my Covid Jab.

Does anyone know the name/number for the 4x4 vehicle volunteer helpers?

I'm going to try to get off my snow covered hill, but I'm not confident that my car will make it.

I can't find the volunteers name or number anywhere.

On 07/02/2021 at 00:04, catmiss said:

Perhaps we should personally be prepared for the odd peculiarities of the British winter.

It would help. It snows almost every year at least once (often much more than once) Every time this happens people slide their cars down hills into walls etc. Can't possibly be a surprise to them that this has happened based on it being a well known phenomenon on Sheffields hills almost every year!

1 hour ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

I'm in Walkley and need to get to Crosspool  tomorrow morning for my Covid Jab.

Does anyone know the name/number for the 4x4 vehicle volunteer helpers?

I'm going to try to get off my snow covered hill, but I'm not confident that my car will make it.

I can't find the volunteers name or number anywhere.

Can't ye just ring ye docs m8 my wife did and she's getting a home jab on Thursday...lm in Walkley ....nightmare on our hilly road too take care bud.

Take care everyone,

I've just seen a Snowflake in Longley, could be more tonight..

Stay safe, wrap up well.

Just looked at the MWIS site.

A breeezy 100-120mph highest speeds on Cairngorm and minus 20 wind-chill for next 3 days.

Mind you it did record the UKs highest windspeed a while back , 171mph

True enough.

It's more or less 50 years since the Cairngorm tragedy where a group got caught out in a storm.

Thankfully weather forecasting and training has moved on