Winter 20/21 Weather Thread.

Can tell the South East is about to get some winter, front page news on the BBC website 😂😂

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

well if we cannot learn from colder countrys,then we will just have to grind our country to a halt for a few days a year and not complain or we could set up a goverment adviser to find out the cheapo option,or could get the unemployed to move the snow,but by the time they had contacted them,trained them in h&Safety and clothed them out,sent out cars to fetch them ,it would be summer,so no moaning.

The cheapo option is gritting main routes, and fitting plough blades to gritting wagons. Unfortunately in the real world, there is a finite number of gritting wagons, time, drivers, gritting and money. So for the very occasional day where its an issue, then I'd say we've got about the right balance.

The country doesn't grind to a halt, some people get stuck, some of whom could have stayed in the house or walked. The M62 gets shut. Then it all melts or is cleared enough in a day or two and life continues.

after no buses for several days ,the hospitals inundated with fractures ect,we are really poor at sorting out bad weather.

Guest busdriver1
20 hours ago, bassett one said:

well if we cannot learn from colder countrys, then we will just have to grind our country to a halt for a few days a year and not complain 

We have an unfortunate climate where we rarely get long term temperatures at a level where it freezes and stays frozen unlike colder countries.  This means the ground and snow/ ice thaws then re-freezes so can be a repetitive issue. When we get a thaw, the salt etc gets flushed away. I believe that snow ploughs are ineffective at depths of less then 6 inches or something close to that

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

after no buses for several days ,the hospitals inundated with fractures ect,we are really poor at sorting out bad weather.

Where was this? Were the Sheffield hospital fracture clinics inundated? Busses were off for a morning I think.

It's here  !!!!       ❄️  ❄️  ❄️

Snowing heavily in Birdwell now.     :banana:

Perhaps we should personally be prepared for the odd peculiarities of the British winter. I’ve got a pair of very unflattering wellies which I tuck my trousers into which has allowed me to negotiate all weathers regularly bypassing the designer trainer and fashion boot brigade, young and old, slipping and sliding about 

Went to bed to it snowing like mad, woke up this morning and most of it seems to have vanished!

From what I can tell on the forecast though, the worst of it for Sheffield is meant to be tomorrow.

Following your comment, I've just checked my 'go-to' site for the weather, and the worst day appears to be next Friday, although that may change as it is hard to predict that far ahead. Today/tomorrow don't appear that bad.

21 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

We have an unfortunate climate where we rarely get long term temperatures at a level where it freezes and stays frozen unlike colder countries.  This means the ground and snow/ ice thaws then re-freezes so can be a repetitive issue. When we get a thaw, the salt etc gets flushed away. I believe that snow ploughs are ineffective at depths of less then 6 inches or something close to that

I couldn't find anything related to ploughing on either Sheffield or Rotherham council websites however on Doncaster Councils website is states that ploughing will be considered when snow depth reaches 25mm (1 inch).

Given that in the last lot of snow we just had DC did just that and their roads were clear enough to run practically ALL of their bus services. Meanwhile Rotherham and Sheffield councils dragged their heels and ploughs didn't go out till late morning (10am >) which lead to the widespread issues. 

What we have is a systemic failure of our council depts and of the PFIs that Labour brought in to service our city/towns roads. Amey & Streets Ahead need to be held accountable for these failures and considered in breach of contract for failing to act upon the situation. 

As I've said earlier in the thread, I was on the Parkway at 4am on 02/02/21 and it was already at least 40-50mm (1.5-2") deep. A major arterial route untouched by any sort of meaninful road clearance. 

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Following your comment, I've just checked my 'go-to' site for the weather, and the worst day appears to be next Friday, although that may change as it is hard to predict that far ahead. Today/tomorrow don't appear that bad.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcqzwtdw7#?date=2021-02-07

Just purely going off the predicted levels of snow fall 🤷‍♂️

Get you - but we shall see. My level of trust in Met Office forecasts tends to be low.