Winter 20/21 Weather Thread.

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Think they got caught out, and I've literally just seen a gritter go down the main Sheffield/Derbyshire road, so they are out.

But no ploughs on the front to move the snow to get the grit where it's needed. 

Amatuer hour at Amey once again. 

8 minutes ago, Resident said:

But no ploughs on the front to move the snow to get the grit where it's needed. 

Amatuer hour at Amey once again. 

Don't worry, It's melting now.   be gone by dinner time.

11 minutes ago, Padders said:

Don't worry, It's melting now.   be gone by dinner time.

More is forecast though I believe

4 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Think they got caught out, and I've literally just seen a gritter go down the main Sheffield/Derbyshire road, so they are out.

Caught out?? It was forecast! 

Edited by Colin Foster

SW Sheffield seems okay. Main roads and bus routes seem to have been ploughed and gritted round here. Stuff is melting fairly fast too, so mostly mush - admittedly quite thick (3 to 4") mush in places

2 minutes ago, Colin Foster said:

Caught out?? It was forecast! 

Maybe they didn't grit enough? I saw wagons going up and down the main road outside my window last night.

The gritters even come down our close which is a dead end. Can't fault them. Mind you they are operated by the council.

Posts have been removed.

This is supposed to be an informative/ helpful thread, not an excuse to have a dig at people. 

Edited by nikki-red

In fact, almost continuous snow is forecast from Saturday night to Tuesday morning, with temperatures never above 1 degree.

On 02/02/2021 at 12:09, RollingJ said:

Maybe they didn't grit enough? I saw wagons going up and down the main road outside my window last night.

Gritters were out overnight. The problem is that once it started settling heavily they FAILED to bolt on the ploughs till too late on. 

Everytime we get heavy enough snow to require ploughing before more gritting councils across South Yorkshire (Amey/StreetsAhead) don't respond to the changing conditions soon enough. 

At 4am the Parkway was at least 2" deep. I work close to the Olive Grove grit depot and didn't see a plough equipped vehicle go out till beyond 10am. 

Fair enough, and I agree with you over their speed of response. Obviously I can only go on what I can see, which isn't a great deal due to the fairly closely packed trees on the riverbank  between me and the road.