Winter 20/21 Weather Thread.

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

Sorry, but you have another month+ of potential snowfall, although looking at the site I use for forward conditions, it doesn't look TOO bad, but UK weather is hard to predict more than about 10 days forward, and even that can change at this time of year.

😱 Oh nooooooooo

4 minutes ago, jane2008 said:

Snowing in S5, Longley

Oh ek, stay safe Jane.

On 18/01/2021 at 17:49, RollingJ said:

Dunno where they get that from, but I can remember quite a few of my 65 years that were colder.

I suppose they could be talking about south of Watford Gap, where it has been a little colder than the average over the past 10 years or so, but it is not the case up here.

I seem to remember around 1980/81 the temperature never got above freezing for a month.

Amber warning for snow tomorrow so if you haven't panic bought your bread and bog roll, do so now.

18 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Amber warning for snow tomorrow so if you haven't panic bought your bread and bog roll, do so now.

Plenty of bog-roll, but bread ? Knew there was summat I'd forgot.

Looking at a slightly more reliable (to me) site than the Met Office, it ain't going to be that bad.

39 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Plenty of bog-roll, but bread ? Knew there was summat I'd forgot.

Looking at a slightly more reliable (to me) site than the Met Office, it ain't going to be that bad.

With snow it's 50-50 at best.

The forecast I saw said snow in the early hours, then rain, ending up nudging 10c by the evening.

So it won't last long.

9 hours ago, RollingJ said:

I guess that depends on where in Sheffield you live.  Hubby cleared the drive early doors but by 6 it was evident I was going nowhere and the snowfall has just got heavier and heavier since then.   We too expected sleet at best. But hey, it's Winter. It snows. There's a good reason I save some of my holiday for snow days. 😉

9 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Agreed, and they under-estimated the amount by a bit.

9 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

The forecast I saw said snow in the early hours, then rain, ending up nudging 10c by the evening.

So it won't last long.

Not checked the forecast yet, but temperature is rising fairly quickly, hope it shifts it quick - I hate the stuff

9 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

9 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Agreed, even they qualify the forecast as an estimate.

1 minute ago, Hayley1 said:

I guess that depends on where in Sheffield you live.  Hubby cleared the drive early doors but by 6 it was evident I was going nowhere and the snowfall has just got heavier and heavier since then.   We too expected sleet at best. But hey, it's Winter. It snows. There's a good reason I save some of my holiday for snow days. 😉

Me in the SW of Sheffield and yes it is quite deep. Agreed, it's Winter, the worst month and it snows. Don't think I'll be going out today.😀

got 4 inches of snow here already, no sign of gritters - wife works at Hallamshire but cant get in

Why are there no gritters?

1 minute ago, Skink said:

got 4 inches of snow here already, no sign of gritters - wife works at Hallamshire but cant get in

Why are there no gritters?

Think they got caught out, and I've literally just seen a gritter go down the main Sheffield/Derbyshire road, so they are out.