Winter 20/21 Weather Thread.

2 hours ago, nightrider said:

Well like many local councils they simply don't have the money to provide all services anymore. So I wonder if this kind of work has been cut back a lot.

I live in Walkley and it's dangerous now asdas online shop been cancelled today wife's at risk of this damn virus so most is online.

This roads got 3in ice on it no way vans can get up here 

Hate living on a hill in winter.

4 hours ago, nightrider said:

Well like many local councils they simply don't have the money to provide all services anymore. So I wonder if this kind of work has been cut back a lot.

Nothing to do with the council any more for the foreseeable future. 

The Sheffield counci taxpayers, sorry SCC on our behalf, gave AMEY £2 billion as part of the Street Ahead contract to carry out, amongst other things, gritting the city's roads in winter.   The contract started around 2012 for a 25 year period. 

Heard a spokesman on Rade Sheffield last night around 5pm, saying that they have 20 gritters, of which 18 had been out & they also have access to a number of private contractors, which provides them with an additional 7 gritters. 

The timing of the weather conditions threw them out apparently,  They put the grit down for ice, this was partly washed away by rain & then we had snow on top.   However, at the end of the day, only what is termed 'Priority 1' routes are really gritted.  The days of getting your average residential road gritted are long gone. 

I'd heard from a friend yesterday that 3 buses were stuck on Firshill Rd for most of the day.  If a main bus route through an estate isn't considered to be a priority route, I don't know what is? 

4 hours ago, carosio said:

Anyone been up or down Blake Street?

No, but at a guess...

3.5 hours up, 14.9 seconds down

😉

Does anyone know what the state of Ashland Rd, Nether Edge is please? My mum is due to visit my grandad (carer) tomorrow but concerned it might be an ice rink. 

Edited by Guest

On 15/01/2021 at 13:46, carosio said:

Anyone been up or down Blake Street?

I used to live on blake street in the early 80s, this sort of weather always made going out rather exciting.

There is an Amber Weather warning for heavy rain for Tuesday to Thursday. With the already high rivers due to the rapid snow melt. That is not going to be fun.

It's worst than you think, further in it says;

He said about 40-70mm (1.57-2.75 in) of rain was expected in the north-west, potentially rising to 100-120mm (3.93-4.72 in) in hilly areas.

According to Saturdays Sun newspaper, Its the coldest January on record.

Can't believe it to be honest, I've known plenty worse. Just what you'd expect for Jan, cold, wet, and miserable.

14 minutes ago, Padders said:

Can't believe it to be honest, I've known plenty worse. Just what you'd expect for Jan, cold, wet, and miserable.

I can tolerate the cold and wet at a push but not the white stuff. Hope we've seen the last of it for this year.  Roll on spring ☀️🌳🌷

33 minutes ago, Padders said:

Dunno where they get that from, but I can remember quite a few of my 65 years that were colder.

I suppose they could be talking about south of Watford Gap, where it has been a little colder than the average over the past 10 years or so, but it is not the case up here.

16 minutes ago, Rollypolly said:

I can tolerate the cold and wet at a push but not the white stuff. Hope we've seen the last of it for this year.  Roll on spring ☀️🌳🌷

Sorry, but you have another month+ of potential snowfall, although looking at the site I use for forward conditions, it doesn't look TOO bad, but UK weather is hard to predict more than about 10 days forward, and even that can change at this time of year.