Winter 20/21 Weather Thread.

I went for a walk this morning and to see some of the antics of the drivers are unbelievable. Engines revving as if they were doing 70 M.P.H. on the slightest incline.

Just now, Kidorry said:

I went for a walk this morning and to see some of the antics of the drivers are unbelievable. Engines revving as if they were doing 70 M.P.H. on the slightest incline.

if people don't want to equip their cars with winter tyres they should stay at home in this weather! Happens most years, yet no-one seems to learn their car ain't gonna drive on inclines in snow.

It looks like a winter wonderland here in Birdwell.   Not stopped snowing all day,   about  4" deep now and still falling heavy.

Guest busdriver1
3 hours ago, nightrider said:

if people don't want to equip their cars with winter tyres they should stay at home in this weather! Happens most years, yet no-one seems to learn their car ain't gonna drive on inclines in snow.

winter tyres help but the biggest help of all is ability and that seems once again to be short supply

17 hours ago, bassett one said:

they are saying lots of snow thursday,wonder if its true?

Now we know. Yes.

Is there a reason the roads aren't being gritted? There were several gritters about this afternoon but they were only ploughing not gritting

37 minutes ago, myriad said:

Is there a reason the roads aren't being gritted? There were several gritters about this afternoon but they were only ploughing not gritting

Highways claim the gritters were out in the early hours (before 5am) whilst it was raining however previously they've stated that they don't go out that early when it's raining due to the salt being washed away. 

I went down the Parkway towards Sheffield about 0945 this morning, gingerly as it was blanketed. About 3 hours later I returned down the same route. Other than snow cleared by vehicles it was still coated and it wasn't until almost at J33 that I saw a gritter, heading towards sheffield. It also wasn't fitted with a plough. So nearly 5 hours of snowfall and no gritting or clearing of snow on one of Sheffield's major arterial routes.

In fact in the afternoon I saw at least 3 gritters, none of which were fitted with a plough. One of those was stuck on an incline. Had it had a plough the snow it was stuck on would have been cleared before the wheels. 

However footage from North and West Yorks show their highways divisions out and ploughing/gritting from early on. 

Once again South Yorkshire CLOWNcils have failed in their obligations. 

Someones been busy today

lSLMJwu.jpg

1 hour ago, Resident said:

Highways claim the gritters were out in the early hours (before 5am) whilst it was raining however previously they've stated that they don't go out that early when it's raining due to the salt being washed away. 

I went down the Parkway towards Sheffield about 0945 this morning, gingerly as it was blanketed. About 3 hours later I returned down the same route. Other than snow cleared by vehicles it was still coated and it wasn't until almost at J33 that I saw a gritter, heading towards sheffield. It also wasn't fitted with a plough. So nearly 5 hours of snowfall and no gritting or clearing of snow on one of Sheffield's major arterial routes.

In fact in the afternoon I saw at least 3 gritters, none of which were fitted with a plough. One of those was stuck on an incline. Had it had a plough the snow it was stuck on would have been cleared before the wheels. 

However footage from North and West Yorks show their highways divisions out and ploughing/gritting from early on. 

It's definitely a bit odd if not just plain incompetence. The gritters I saw were all fully loaded but not laying down any grit, just ploughing the same stretch of road repeatedly, which DID allow me to move my car from where it was stranded to be fair so I am thankful for that at least!

Literally only just seen the first gritter of the day... its 10:10pm

13 hours ago, Resident said:

Well like many local councils they simply don't have the money to provide all services anymore. So I wonder if this kind of work has been cut back a lot.