Handbrakes

Hehe, vacuum operated wipers, what the hell was that about? Come to think of it the handbrake worked on the prop shaft on the Landie.

42 minutes ago, carosio said:

As said, fine as long as its reliable! Who remembers the foot-operated dip-switch?

From Entee's link:  "Unfortunately, a lot of today’s electronic park brakes have now been made “idiot-proof,” so you don’t have the option of whether to apply them or not. Once you turn the engine off, even if you haven’t physically pressed the button, the parking brake will be applied automatically. If you don’t want to apply the parking brake it’s tough luck, I’m afraid".

So, How do we roll or tow the car with engine off?

Put it in service mode if possible 

On 28/12/2020 at 18:57, carosio said:

As said, fine as long as its reliable! Who remembers the foot-operated dip-switch?

From Entee's link:  "Unfortunately, a lot of today’s electronic park brakes have now been made “idiot-proof,” so you don’t have the option of whether to apply them or not. Once you turn the engine off, even if you haven’t physically pressed the button, the parking brake will be applied automatically. If you don’t want to apply the parking brake it’s tough luck, I’m afraid".

So, How do we roll or tow the car with engine off?

My sister has a Golf with an electronic "handbrake". 

Hers has a manual release tool in the spare wheel well. 

I suspect other manufacturers have similar systems. 

26 minutes ago, Resident said:

My sister has a Golf with an electronic "handbrake". 

Hers has a manual release tool in the spare wheel well. 

I suspect other manufacturers have similar systems. 

Sensible idea, my Skoda Octavia had a manual winding mechanism in the sun roof if it failed to close.