Handbrakes

A couple of general questions, as I know that SF has experts on every topic under the sun:

1. Whyever do new cars seem to come without proper handbrakes, i.e. an actual floor-mounted handbrake handle?

Hardly any of them seem to feature one. Instead they have titchy little pull controls.

2. AND the actual word 'handbrake' seems to have been discontinued too. Who decided that it's now just a 'parking brake' and why?

My last 3 cars have had the electronic ones. Very odd at first but very good once you get used to them. I use mine the same as I would with the handle type. Obviously no sync between the pedals and the handbrake like before. The 2 second hill start took a bit of getting used to after decades of doing things the 'old way' A couple of mistakes but all good after that.

I see the older handbrake in small cars that are usually a cheaper make/model. I like my whistles and bells in my car so the old style handbrake hasn't been an option for nearly 8 years (for me).

It's not really a 'handbrake' now, just a finger switch.

Not sure on the answer to Q2. I still call it a handbrake although it isn't really the same thing.

Either way, I like them but probably won't if they ever go wrong. I'd imagine an expensive fix.

I guess it's no longer handbrake because you do not have to use your hand to put it on or take it off. 

When my car went in for a recall the dealer loaned me a VW Golf with an electronic parking/handbrake. Had to look on YouTube how to use it!  Quite simple really! When you come to a halt, applying the foot brake engaged the handbrake, when moving off just accelerate away,  the hand brake disengages automatically, only time you need to apply the hand brake manually is when you park up!  Don't know if this applies to all cars with a electronic parking brake?

ive used and driven several cars ,volvo,merc that dont have hand brakes,both automatic as well,i believe its great,makes life simple,the mercedes parked its self,what ever next,get in and tell the vehicle your destination and read a book?,while you travel,

30 minutes ago, zaci said:

When my car went in for a recall the dealer loaned me a VW Golf with an electronic parking/handbrake. Had to look on YouTube how to use it!  Quite simple really! When you come to a halt, applying the foot brake engaged the handbrake, when moving off just accelerate away,  the hand brake disengages automatically, only time you need to apply the hand brake manually is when you park up!  Don't know if this applies to all cars with a electronic parking brake?

When you turn the engine off in mine it automatically applies the handbrake.

These electronic parking brakes are all good until they lock on which I have seen happen.   I much prefer conventional handbrake system 

As said, fine as long as its reliable! Who remembers the foot-operated dip-switch?

From Entee's link:  "Unfortunately, a lot of today’s electronic park brakes have now been made “idiot-proof,” so you don’t have the option of whether to apply them or not. Once you turn the engine off, even if you haven’t physically pressed the button, the parking brake will be applied automatically. If you don’t want to apply the parking brake it’s tough luck, I’m afraid".

So, How do we roll or tow the car with engine off?

Edited by carosio

8 minutes ago, carosio said:

As said, fine as long as its reliable! Who remembers the foot-operated dip-switch?

Me, series Land Rover circa 1966. No power steering, brake servo or heating on the driver’s side!

1 minute ago, Jim117 said:

Me, series Land Rover circa 1966. No power steering, brake servo or heating on the driver’s side!

Good old fashioned driving! Mine was the Ford 100E with 3-speed box and a similar spec. At least your wiper kept its speed constant when the accelerator was depressed!

53 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

These electronic parking brakes are all good until they lock on which I have seen happen. 

Ha ha! My experience, given the regularity of these Germanese binwagens to be parked on Sheffield's streets and then roll downhill, is that the parking brake fails too often  🤣

Could that affect insurance premiums? Best to leave car in gear then, don't know about modern automatics.