Cravens Road, Darnall.

Sorry Roger,we lived on York Road,my dad's name was Hugh(known as Pete) Campbell.

As it happens,my mum was called Iris but she didn't have sisters.

Is it Cravens Close at Darnall ?, I don't recall a Cravens Road unless it is a new development, or is it where Cravens train carriage manufactures/ paint shop was on Greenland Road? sorry Staniforth Road.

Edited by yorky15
typing error

hi pcinfield

when I ran the fruit shop on cravens road several locals used to supply me in the summer. One in particular was gentleman who lived on cravens road and whos name I cannot remember but his wife was called Iris and she had two sisters living on the road called Kath Moore and Edith Higton . Are you related, please let me know

the man you are talking about is ernest pickering.

Is it Cravens Close at Darnall ?, I don't recall a Cravens Road unless it is a new development, or is it where Cravens train carriage manufactures/ paint shop was on Greenland Road? sorry Staniforth Road.

Cravens Close is at Darnall,it's a relatively new road (late 70's-early 80's) in the area where Cravens Road was. Cravens Road isn't there now,York Road was diverted slightly in the redevelopment and partly covers the old Cravens Road.

---------- Post added 14-08-2014 at 10:23 ----------

the man you are talking about is ernest pickering.

Ernest still had his allotment a year or so ago,I haven't seen him since then.He was gradually handing it over to his twin sons.

Hi Malcolm, I've only just discovered this site! Re Cravens Road, my father Mohammed Latif lived at 63 and the rest of the family (me, three brothers, sister and mum) joined him there in June 1963 after arriving from Kashmir. I was 7 years of age. There was a sweet shop virtually opposite our house. I remember the Pickering twins who were a couple of years older than me and their brother Philip Pickering same age as me. I went to Darnall Church School then Whitby Road School after we'd moved to Industry Road.

I have two vivid memories. The first being the snow in December 63 as I had never seen any snow before. I'm sure I ate it too because it was milky white and looked beautiful. The second memory is one of going to the corner fruit shop to buy potatoes. I trying to remember negotiate a special deal as I was about a large quantity....2lbs!!! I wonder if the shopkeeper remembers that 7 year old boy named Ali.

Within a year or two we moved into 52 Industry Road

---------- Post added 16-11-2014 at 19:09 ----------

Excuse the typos

I lived at 81 cravens road as a child. My best friend there was a girl called Shelly Cross. Her mum was called Dianne Cross. 
my mum’s name then was  Ann Sweeting and my dad James Bailey until they got married in 1974. We lived there until the houses was demolished. I have some fond memories living there. 
there was a sweet shop called Sam’s, I think.  I used to get my sweets from there 

there was a fruit shop I think. I remember buying mum daffodils from there on Mother’s Day.  Oh gosh I could go on for ever 

what year was the houses demolished 

Michelle 

I used to know a Christine  Ong who lived on Craven Rd. and also a girl called Eileen  who lived on York  Rd.  

but I can't remember her second name.

I used to deliver the milk on those two Streets.  in 1967.

My grandparents lived at 65 Cravens Road til they were demolished with my mum and auntie. The Ward family 

I remember about 3 families that lived on Cravens Road - all went to Whitby Road and then Hurlfield:

Moore's,    Ian,

Drinkwaters, Carl

Cavil's, Tony

they all had Brother's and/or Sisters that went to similar schools with my older Brothers and Sisters

Keanaz

I am looking for any information about the Allen family that lived at 73 Cravens Road in the 1940's.  The name has cropped up in my family history search. Thank you

We lived at 66 Cravens Road Around 1969-70 My mum Pauline had the hairdressers at the bottom of Cravens Road..