Cravens Road, Darnall.

I was born in 1945 and lived on cravens road until I joined the army in 1960my parents lived there until the houses were demolished and moved to Greenland view.

I remember the Youngs (Margaret,Alan and Peter) Askwiths (Eileen, Linda and Joan) Hobsons(Margaret and Iris) Mills (Terry)

Edited by nikki-red

Hi -malcolm-,

Here is a scan from the 1954 Kelly's Directory. The families you mention are at Nos. 68, 72 and 76..

Hicken was my grandfather 57 cravens road and Burgess was my aunt and uncle 87 cravens road but what I find strange my name is Campbell at number 78 cravens road and it isn`t showing on Kelly`s directory

...Campbell at number 78 cravens road and it isn`t showing on Kelly`s directory
My mistake - I didn't scan the numbers on the next page..:blush:.Walter Campbell is shown at No 78, with the adjacent houses up to No 90 being occupied by the Cartwright, Hannon, Hill, Goodwin, Higgins and White families. The

My Grandad and Grandma Abbiss lived on Cravens Road, they owned the fruit and veg shop. My Mum (Jean), my aunt (Pamela) and my uncle (Tom) also. Can you remember the twins that lived just across the road from the shop?

I lived on York Road next to Cravens Road 1948-77.I remember Tom Abbiss and his wife (Rhoda?) and his brother Jim's hardware store next door.Then a cafe with Harold Holmes bookies (illegal at the time but everyone knew about it)in the flat above.

---------- Post added 02-08-2014 at 11:51 ----------

Looking at some of the other names from that directory page,Albert Hattersley,Fred Richardson and Syd Ong were all friends of my dad,and I was in the same class at school as Lilian Waller's son Darrell.

Edited by PCInfield
Spelling

When Mr and Mrs Abbis closed the fruit shop on Cravens Road I took it over in about 1963 and was there for nearly 10 years. I had some fabulous customers and I loved working in Darnall. Is there anyone who remembers me used to drink in the Industry.

Roger

We lived on craven rd till they got demolished. My dad is brian smith from darnall .

When Mr and Mrs Abbis closed the fruit shop on Cravens Road I took it over in about 1963 and was there for nearly 10 years. I had some fabulous customers and I loved working in Darnall. Is there anyone who remembers me used to drink in the Industry.

Roger

I remember you Roger.

My dad and I used to sell you our surplus produce from our allotment.

I've still got the allotment,50 years on!

Here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo showing Cravens Road with the shop. Click on "Zoom image" to enlarge..:)

Roger

Yes Roger, I remember you well, my mother (Lucy Campbell) always got her fruit and veg from your shop, both my mother and father drank in the industry pub along with my grandmother on my fathers side Lily Campbell.

hi pcinfield

when I ran the fruit shop on cravens road several locals used to supply me in the summer. One in particular was gentleman who lived on cravens road and whos name I cannot remember but his wife was called Iris and she had two sisters living on the road called Kath Moore and Edith Higton . Are you related, please let me know