Jump to content RIP Sheffield Admin Mort

Supermarkets To Stop Doing Bogof Deals In 2022

Recommended Posts

The ending of Bogofs to reduce junk food sales will work to some degree as a half-price promotion doesn’t generate the same level of unit sales.

In terms of retailers deciding the prices, it’s actually driven by the suppliers who offer a rebate for every unit sold - that’s why they prefer Bogofs as they shift the most units.

As they are mostly supplier funded it’s not likely that the retailer will promote other lines to the same degree as the supplier funding won’t be available, especially on things like vegetables or fruit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/01/2021 at 18:29, ivan edake said:

I've always said that it should be done like this anyway, sometimes people don't really want two but they buy the BOGOF offer and then one gets wasted. What really bugs me is the shops that have offers something like: £5 each,buy 4 for £8. These items really should be priced at £2 each.

Yes they should but that won't generate sales. The whole point of such offers is to entice people who would normally buy one item at £5 into spending that extra £3.   Chances are, particularly if it's something like confectionery or snack food-  the fact they have it in their cupboard so readily in bulk will mean they will consume it more quickly than usual and then the customer builds up a habit of buying 4 each time they shop going forward. 

 

It's just one of the many simple tricks that shops have been doing for years. There's an old phrase that one of the best marketing ploys ever invented was "99p".     To the eyes of a casual consumer glancing at the shelves X.00 is expensive X.99 is a bargain.

 

Back on topic, Healthy initiatives like this to reduce consumption of "bad" foods is not a bad thing on paper but believe me if retailers feel there's dropping sales they will find any way they can the skirt around it. They've already been doing it with with Coca-Cola and other such beverages where the bog standard price of a pack of cans is ludicrously expensive but buying so called "share size" bottles are on offer. It doesn't take much maths to work out how many bottles you need to make up the same amount you will get in the cans and what sort of discount you get comparing one to another.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sizes of various items have already been reduced, in the name of helping with obesity, but the reduced size has not been reflected in the price. I suspect that the end of BOGOF will go the same way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Sizes of various items have already been reduced, in the name of helping with obesity, but the reduced size has not been reflected in the price. I suspect that the end of BOGOF will go the same way.

 

It won't be. To do so defeats the entire purpose of the levy.

 

Ultimately manufacturers and retailers have a choice, they either leave the size of the product alone and increase the prices or, as some have chosen to do, they leave the price alone and reduce the size of their product.

 

Whilst i'm sure there are a handful out there who will be greedy and try and get away with both - that is a choice for us consumers to decide whether to buy it or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ECCOnoob said:

 

It won't be. To do so defeats the entire purpose of the levy.

 

Ultimately manufacturers and retailers have a choice, they either leave the size of the product alone and increase the prices or, as some have chosen to do, they leave the price alone and reduce the size of their product.

 

Whilst i'm sure there are a handful out there who will be greedy and try and get away with both - that is a choice for us consumers to decide whether to buy it or not.

Price inflation by the back door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really. Most goods' shelf-edge legend shows something like the price per 100g or per litre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mars bars, wagon wheels, etc half the size they used to be, but gone up in price. OK so they are undesirable in a country with obesity problems, but recently I've bought both apples and tomatoes which usually come in packs of 6, but now contain only 5 for the same price as 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Not really. Most goods' shelf-edge legend shows something like the price per 100g or per litre.

Whilst that's true, most people only see the price is that same and don't notice their bar of chocolate is now 90g not 100g or that there is more air in the same sized box holding the product - at least until they get home and realise they've been had. There's even a term for it - Shrinkflation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/01/2021 at 17:35, altus said:

Whilst that's true, most people only see the price is that same and don't notice their bar of chocolate is now 90g not 100g or that there is more air in the same sized box holding the product - at least until they get home and realise they've been had. There's even a term for it - Shrinkflation.

Or the other name - rip-off...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/01/2021 at 17:14, Anna B said:

Mars bars, wagon wheels, etc half the size they used to be, but gone up in price. OK so they are undesirable in a country with obesity problems, but recently I've bought both apples and tomatoes which usually come in packs of 6, but now contain only 5 for the same price as 6.

the price of fresh fruit and vegetables fluctuates with the seasons, In the past supermarkets would have adjusted the price and kept the number the same. The trend now seems to be keep the price the same and adjust the quantity to match. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.