Supermarkets To Stop Doing Bogof Deals In 2022

Been reported that supermarkets will be stopped doing bogof deals on most things in an attempt to stop obesity. By doing this will it help or will it effect the less well off ?

I suppose one way round this would be to put product on at half price,-then you could buy one or two as you wish.

17 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

Been reported that supermarkets will be stopped doing bogof deals on most things in an attempt to stop obesity. By doing this will it help or will it effect the less well off ?

What if it’s slim fast ?

@rudds1got a link? IMHO this is nanny-state behaviour - if I, personally go shopping for food and get a 'discount' for buying 2/3 items from a selected range - the way most stores do it these days, then I'm happy. If I had to pay full price, then I'm NOT happy, and know exactly who to blame for increasing my costs.

If any product can be sold at 2 for the price of one, simply charge the 50% reduction and sell more. Simple business isn't it?

This country has a bad habit of taxing and banning things in the name of health. Punishing people that are already struggling with finances isn't the answer and never will be.

10 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@rudds1got a link? IMHO this is nanny-state behaviour - if I, personally go shopping for food and get a 'discount' for buying 2/3 items from a selected range - the way most stores do it these days, then I'm happy. If I had to pay full price, then I'm NOT happy, and know exactly who to blame for increasing my costs.

Read it on my new feed on iPad plus been on radio 

OK - sounds like typical government 'spin' to see if they dare try more nannying/tax collecting under the guise of 'health', and I notice it 'might' be tried in two years time - but two years is a long time, especially in government terms.

I would imagine the shops will just play a new game with the mindless rule makers. Instead of BOGOF, they would simply make it something like: Buy one for £1 or two for £1.05. The second being only 5p but gets round the silly BOGOF rule.

I’ve just reread article and it says it’s going to be on what is classed as junk food.   Sill say let people deceive for themselves 

It’s not on everything according to this article...

“'Buy one get one free' deals on fizzy drinks, crisps and fatty foods will be banned in medium and large stores, as well as on websites, from April 2022

The curbs – designed to combat 'pester power', where children pressure their parents into making purchases – will apply to promotions for food and drinks high in fat, salt or sugar. 

That includes sweets, chocolate, biscuits, fizzy drinks, ice cream, pastries, yoghurts, and sugary milkshakes.

Also within the remit of the new rules are pizzas, ready meals, battered products, crisps, chips and breakfast cereals.”

From...https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9091539/amp/Buy-one-one-free-deals-fizzy-drinks-crisps-fatty-foods-banned-April-2022.html