Celebrities Putting Any Small Incident To Get In The News.

16 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Of course she realises. She will not be completely blind to the way of the world.

However, there is an obvious reason why Holly Willoughby's problems are reported in the papers compared to Jane Bloggs who nobody has heard of.

One attracts readers and sells advertising space the other nobody gives a toss about. Can't really blame Holly for the draw of the general public to the world "celebrity" even on the most banal issues.

If someone threw me a few hundred quid to do a quick interview about my troubles I'd take them up on it too.  

You’ve explained it very well !

Yes I realise she's aware other people have problems. I was being facetious - sorry 🥴

6 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Paddy McGuiness's wife was the worst.  Remember the time she posted the hospital bed selfie with no context?

https://www.hellomagazine.com/celebrities/2019030170361/christine-mcguinness-hospital-selfie/

But the context in this case is that her fans and deluded followers will all be desperately panicking and wondering what has happened to her because of the simple fact that she won't have posted one of her regular videos.

Never underestimate how obsessive people get particularly with vloggers and youtubers.   They get into a routine and a schedule of watching and suddenly if they don't post at the specified time they instantly react expecting the worst to have happened to their favourite "personality".   

It's the Cult of celebrity that compels protagonists to do things like this. They feel it their moral duty to be continually justifying to their fan base where they are at all times. They must be seen and when they are not seen as expected by the fans they feel even more compelled to then start providing explanations afterwards - despite the fact that in reality its none of our business.

It goes back to what I said earlier about this modern day disease that somehow we own our famous personalities and have absolute permission to unashamedly intrude into every single aspect of their personal lives. When we don't get that privilege and access we somehow then feel we have absolute right to complain about it.

I appreciate that to many not in this sort of Culture it is almost impossible to explain.  But that is how things are now. By example, I know of a small scale older YouTuber stopped his hobby of making videos on computer games when some obsessive follower felt it perfectly acceptable to turned up on their doorstep to get an autograph just because they managed to work out their address from the background in the videos.

You find exactly the same when some face of a TV show doesn't present an episode one day...... within hours all the Press are gossiping  and reporting and speculating about why they were not on there - even if it turns out to be something completely trivial like a scheduled day off or a childcare issue or a bit of sickness.

I can't explain why this cult sells but if you are one of the ones caught up in it, I don't blame anyone for making the most out of it and taking the cheques.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

But the context in this case is that her fans and deluded followers will all be desperately panicking and wondering what has happened to her because of the simple fact that she won't have posted one of her regular videos.

Never underestimate how obsessive people get particularly with vloggers and youtubers.   They get into a routine and a schedule of watching and suddenly if they don't post at the specified time they instantly react expecting the worst to have happened to their favourite "personality".   

It's the Cult of celebrity that compels protagonists to do things like this. They feel it their moral duty to be continually justifying to their fan base where they are at all times. They must be seen and when they are not seen as expected by the fans they feel even more compelled to then start providing explanations afterwards - despite the fact that in reality its none of our business.

It goes back to what I said earlier about this modern day disease that somehow we own our famous personalities and have absolute permission to unashamedly intrude into every single aspect of their personal lives. When we don't get that privilege and access we somehow then feel we have absolute right to complain about it.

I appreciate that to many not in this sort of Culture it is almost impossible to explain.  But that is how things are now. By example, I know of a small scale older YouTuber stopped his hobby of making videos on computer games when some obsessive follower felt it perfectly acceptable to turned up on their doorstep to get an autograph just because they managed to work out their address from the background in the videos.

You find exactly the same when some face of a TV show doesn't present an episode one day...... within hours all the Press are gossiping  and reporting and speculating about why they were not on there - even if it turns out to be something completely trivial like a scheduled day off or a childcare issue or a bit of sickness.

I can't explain why this cult sells but if you are one of the ones caught up in it, I don't blame anyone for making the most out of it it it and taking the cheques.  

I agree with you on all points here.

One thing that gets my wife's goat is the first-time celebrity mum, who six or so months after giving birth, will be doing the media circus circuit, promoting a book about how to bring up a baby & 'cope' with life. 

I’ve noticed the latest publicity stunt is to publicise that you’ve broken up with your live in boyfriend or girlfriend caused by the stress of living together during the lockdown. This is to make sure that they get work offers during and after the pandemic. Trouble is any space is used up by these silly stories in newspapers if they don’t have enough articles to write .

Edited by pattricia

3 hours ago, pattricia said:

I’ve noticed the latest publicity stunt is to publicise that you’ve broken up with your live in boyfriend or girlfriend caused by the stress of living together during the lockdown. This is to make sure that they get work offers during and after the pandemic. Trouble is any space is used up by these silly stories in newspapers if they don’t have enough articles to write .

Change newspapers. If enough people do, the silly stories won’t be printed. If not enough people do, the newspaper content is just fine.

1 hour ago, Jim Hardie said:

Change newspapers. If enough people do, the silly stories won’t be printed. If not enough people do, the newspaper content is just fine.

Problem is, this goes well beyond just the tabloid newspapers. This is a culture thing.

They are all at it. Even the so-called highbrow intelligent publications and even the business and trade press are not above a bit of celeb gawping and some of juicy tittle-tattle. The subject of such interest may well be a more high-profile person  but the principle still remains.

Take a Break magazine may publish pictures of some daft bimbo from a reality show stumbling out of a nightclub into a taxi. Horse and County may bring you delightful pictures from Lord Hetherington Smyths charity soiree..... when it comes down to it is there really any difference?

It's become a deep rooted "Cult of Personality" which started decades ago.  Anyone with fame no matter how insignificant or no matter through what subject, opens people up to public scrutiny, ownership, interest, criticism.

For those who get financial reward for their "personality" it becomes even worse where public interest nee obsession just escalates.

I think we are too far down the rabbit hole to make it stop now.

Edited by ECCOnoob

I remember the days when the newspapers were just for news. Then along came computers and the rest is history.! 
The latest craze is telling everyone how you’ve had a bad nervous breakdown which you need to talk about. Turns out it happened ten years ago.!  You can almost imagine their agent saying “ Look, you need to get in the news to get some work” Say that you had a nervous breakdown, but leave it until you’re half way through the article to tell them it was ten years ago” Celebrity “ Why?” Agent “ Because you wouldn’t get any work if they think you still suffer with depression now” 

1 hour ago, pattricia said:

I remember the days when the newspapers were just for news. Then along came computers and the rest is history.! 
The latest craze is telling everyone how you’ve had a bad nervous breakdown which you need to talk about. Turns out it happened ten years ago.!  You can almost imagine their agent saying “ Look, you need to get in the news to get some work” Say that you had a nervous breakdown, but leave it until you’re half way through the article to tell them it was ten years ago” Celebrity “ Why?” Agent “ Because you wouldn’t get any work if they think you still suffer with depression now” 

When was that??

The obsession over the world of the rich and famous goes back decades. So does the gossip and scandal and paid interviews and staged promo photos and dirty tricks and paparazzi snaps.  

The internet may be to blame for escalating the process but don't think that newspapers of yesteryear were immune from filling their rags with slow news day 'lifestyle'waffle, celeb gossip and the odd dolly bird to look pretty.  

For example the first Page 3 models started to be published over fifty years ago.   Earlier than that The Mirror was subject to a libel lawsuit way back in 1959 where one of their "journalists" was gossiping in their column about Liberace's alleged sexuality.

This is not a new phenomenon. Ultimately if you want to sell papers you have to to publish what the public want to read.

Edited by ECCOnoob

New interview with pop singer Lily Allen became addicted to a prescription weight loss drug BACK IN 2014.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55679233

I'm guessing she's not made a record for sometime & needs to keep or try stay in the limelight?  Or am I just being cynical? 

Well it's something new from her which she's not mentioned before strangely?  I do recall her being all over the media back in 2016 when she 'apologised on behalf of the nation' to Europe for the leave Brexit vote & again all over the media again, around 2018, when she promised to take in migrant families fleeing war zones.  Something she actually never did but it got her in the papers at the time & praise all over social media. 

So forgive me if I say I'll take her latest interview with a pinch of salt, and see it no more than to get her some attention & a bit of affirmation by the way of a few 'likes' on social media. 

Edited by Baron99