Faulty Lights On Cars At Present.

It's called the  VDRS  "Police Vehicle Defect Rectification Scheme"

"When a police officer finds a fault on any vehicle that is, or will be, required to have an MOT test certificate, they may issue a Vehicle Defect Rectification Form instead of advising or prosecuting the driver or issuing a prohibition notice. Once the defect is rectified, the form is endorsed by a Tester to confirm that this has been done adequately. The driver and/or owner must then return the completed form in the manner instructed on the form within the specified time, usually 14 days to avoid prosecution for the defects. Alternatively, to avoid prosecution, the driver and/or owner may produce evidence that the vehicle has been scrapped."

Details Here "Section K" Police Vehicle Defect Rectification Scheme

Edited by Dardandec

On 25/12/2020 at 16:00, Janus said:

He's pulling your legs.

.......Also the software that puts the indicators on after  the turn. Especially coming off of roundabouts.

Yes, that's another one!

There's a mini-job near me, where the dome is slightly off-set from the middle of the junction. You'll see more vehicles going straight over the top rather than around it, and even driving the wrong side of it isn't unusual. The lack of signalling is appalling.

Equally confusing are the ones who are not turning, but still indicate left or right when they're actually, in effect, going straight on!

Then there are the ones who don't indicate at all - if the excuse is that there was no other traffic around at the time, fine, I suppose - but wouldn't you have thought it was habit/second nature to indicate if you were intending to turn?! 

The VDRS is a good thing IMHO as it gives the police the latitude to differentiate between a genuine minor fault and an unroadworthy banger. I’ve been issued ,a couple of these over the years and both times it was for faults I wasn’t aware of but would have rectified if I had known about them so fair play. I also think that the reason for defective vehicles and bad driving is probably due to the reliance on cameras rather than the more costly option of actual police patrol cars out on our roads. But yes some car bulbs are ridiculously difficult to change , a Citroen I used to own ended up with my girl mate with small hands changing the bulb while me and her husband held everything out of the way, ludicrous.

Thanks for that Dardandec.

It's called the  VDRS  "Police Vehicle Defect Rectification Scheme"

"When a police officer finds a fault on any vehicle that is, or will be, required to have an MOT test certificate, they may issue a Vehicle Defect Rectification Form instead of advising or prosecuting the driver or issuing a prohibition notice. Once the defect is rectified, the form is endorsed by a Tester to confirm that this has been done adequately. The driver and/or owner must then return the completed form in the manner instructed on the form within the specified time, usually 14 days to avoid prosecution for the defects. Alternatively, to avoid prosecution, the driver and/or owner may produce evidence that the vehicle has been scrapped."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another question, is it true that your, third, brake light is not on the MOT

check list so if that's out the Police cannot stop you for that and as long

as the other two are working your car is up to the legal requirments.

Edited by MEC176

All stop lamps have to be tested but only the outer ones are mandatory.

Here is a snippet from the testers manual-

"You must inspect all stop lamps fitted."

"Additional stop lamps, over and above the mandatory requirements, must be tested. However, if you are not sure if they are connected, you should give the benefit of the doubt."

Not sure how the police would deal with a high level stop lamp inoperative though. Police tend to work on a "construction and design" basis, whereas testers work on a minimum standard. So potentially you could still get a ticket.

On 25/12/2020 at 13:41, rudds1 said:

In some instanRuddsces the owner might have changed a bulb but not seated it correctly 

Yes you are right Janus,I have been wondering about this.These vehicles with one dazzler always appear to be almost new.I have also noticed newish vehicles also seem to have headlights that appear to brighten when the vehicle goes over a bump. When one of these vehicles is following me it gives the impression the driver is flashing me to stop,in fact when this first happened I did stop,but of course the other driver didn't. I have been wondering if both of these problems are caused by a faulty light levelling system which is now fitted to many new cars.

Edited by ivan edake
Should have been posted to janus,not rudds.

17 hours ago, ivan edake said:

Yes you are right Janus,I have been wondering about this.These vehicles with one dazzler always appear to be almost new.I have also noticed newish vehicles also seem to have headlights that appear to brighten when the vehicle goes over a bump. When one of these vehicles is following me it gives the impression the driver is flashing me to stop,in fact when this first happened I did stop,but of course the other driver didn't. I have been wondering if both of these problems are caused by a faulty light levelling system which is now fitted to many new cars.

As I  understand it, dipped lights no longer point to the side but rather straight ahead but below the level of a standard interior mirror. Going over a lump will briefly raise the beams; similarly, a slight camber will give the impression that one light is dipped and the other not.

I could be wrong.

Next time when you can spare 5 minutes, just stand at the side of the road when its dark and look at front and rear lights on 20 cars, including number plate lights, you will be surprised how many have a light out or drving with front lights only etc

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

Next time when you can spare 5 minutes, just stand at the side of the road when its dark and look at front and rear lights on 20 cars, including number plate lights, you will be surprised how many have a light out or drving with front lights only etc

..and when you flash them, they look at you gone out :D People just don't understand or do car maintenance any more. It's like people driving with no lights at all in fog. My car has automatic lights but the manual specifically states the need to use them manually in such conditions since the sensor only registers light, which can be plenty even in fog. Don't get me started on people that indicate right on a roundabout when they're not going right, but that's unrelated. 

7 hours ago, El Cid said:

Also on a very dull and rainy winter's day, count the cars with no lights switched on!