Faulty Lights On Cars At Present.

Noticed?

Dozens of vehicles around with faulty lights - headlights, rear lights, brake lights...you name it.

You're not telling me that they've all "just happened"!

Are the police looking the other way? !

I've also noticed the numbers of new cars that don't seem to have indicators fitted as standard any more....or might that just be ignorant, crap drivers?!

I'm a class 4 MOT tester, and an obligatory light or two out is usually the tip of the iceberg. You want to see some of the defects I see on a regular basis, and people are driving about like that. It hits home to me when people are driving these defective vehicles with young children in them. (The kids seats being that giveaway)

5 minutes ago, Dardandec said:

I'm a class 4 MOT tester, and an obligatory light or two out is usually the tip of the iceberg. You want to see some of the defects I see on a regular basis, and people are driving about like that. It hits home to me when people are driving these defective vehicles with young children in them. (The kids seats being that giveaway)

Could you give us some examples?

10 minutes ago, carosio said:

Could you give us some examples?

Absolutely.

Tyres- Bald, cords showing, Bulges, Deep splits (Deep enough to reach cords/ply)

Brakes- Pads 100% worn and on the steel, not very often a brake disc fails because it has to be bad, but see some rough ones alot.

Corrosion-  Excessive corrosion around load bearing points, Seat belts, suspension, Odd times around brake pedal mounting areas, and subframes (Excessive means there is a hole in it)

Drivers view- wipers with the scrapers missing or badly split, Washers not working or working very poorly. 

Suspension arms and trailing arms excessively corroded.

Ball joints and track rod end joints.

Brake pipes excessively corroded (Had them burst on me while doing roller brake tests because they were that bad) 

Poor handbrake efficiency, Odd times brake balance.  

10 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

Noticed?

Dozens of vehicles around with faulty lights - headlights, rear lights, brake lights...you name it.

You're not telling me that they've all "just happened"!

Are the police looking the other way? !

I've also noticed the numbers of new cars that don't seem to have indicators fitted as standard any more....or might that just be ignorant, crap drivers?!

I’m not excusing anyone for faulty lights but some are so difficult to change ,perhaps those drivers don’t have the tools/ confidence to do it so are waiting to get it in to a garage etc. 

Exactly, @rudds1. I'm not a car owner, but I know many who are, and the fun and games they have to entertain to accomplish what should, and used to be, a simple task leaves me amazed.

Edited by RollingJ

40 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

I’m not excusing anyone for faulty lights but some are so difficult to change ,perhaps those drivers don’t have the tools/ confidence to do it so are waiting to get it in to a garage etc. 

You can go to Halfords and they do it for you.

My wife has gone a few times and had new bulbs put in.

4 minutes ago, Mr Fisk said:

You can go to Halfords and they do it for you.

My wife has gone a few times and had new bulbs put in.

Halfords won’t do every type of car though.    Some are a proper nightmare to change  and Halfords won’t have time to change those kinds of bulbs.  Also when some bulbs go they trip a controller out and need diagnostic equipment to reset it.  Would Halfords have that sort of equipment??

....and on the other hand, how many times do you see dipped headlights on parked cars facing you, and I think there is some softwear on some cars that only allow indicators to operate a few yards before a turn.

12 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

Halfords won’t do every type of car though.    Some are a proper nightmare to change  and Halfords won’t have time to change those kinds of bulbs.  Also when some bulbs go they trip a controller out and need diagnostic equipment to reset it.  Would Halfords have that sort of equipment??

I can't comment on every type of car, but surely they must have some skilled ppl to install a variety of bulbs.

We've not experienced any issues so far.

35 minutes ago, Mr Fisk said:

I can't comment on every type of car, but surely they must have some skilled ppl to install a variety of bulbs.

We've not experienced any issues so far.

There is a Renault Clio iirc and to change bulb on that it’s said to take about 8 hours as you have to dismantle most of front end.   Don’t see Halfords taking something like that on 

I hear some headlight units are completely sealed and cost hundeds to replace, although the LEDs should be reliable. Newer Golf GTI is one of them?