What Building Is This

Picture was taken from City Road (around 1947-50), and shows a building in the background with 4 turrets.

ACX7UUf.jpg

Thanks, I had actually looked at that on my search, but I know now it was the absence of the adjoining buildings that got me confused

The original photo was undated, but in the shot was a Mk 1 Standard Vanguard which wasn't in production until 1947/8.

Looks like the Farm Buildings at the bottom of Granville Road. Once owned by the Duke of Norfolk and last used before demolition as offices for British Rail staff.

Having had a look on the Picture Sheffield site, I am thinking I could be wrong.

A look on the Picture Sheffield site makes me think it could be the Corn Exchange on Sheaf Street

That tram would appear to be coming up City Road and from the angle of the photo,  The Corn Exchange would appear to be the building in question .

Come on somebody and help us out !!

Edited by Runningman
Additional words

As in retep's picturesheffield link, it certainly is the corn exchange, after the fire.

Perhaps the tram is on Duke Street-pre Park Hill flats ?

Hi St Petre. Yes, quite right ! Not far enough up the hill to be on City Road

Does the building on the left look like a chapel ?

No doubt may be wrong. It looks as though someone has drawn the back ground. Just saying

12 minutes ago, blackhill said:

No doubt may be wrong. It looks as though someone has drawn the back ground. Just saying

I can see what you mean. It might have been touched up.